My Tractor Forum banner
381 - 400 of 434 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Rather the woods are repopulating with gray birch, beech, and poplar along the edges. I have nothing against these specie, but they just aren't the grand oaks.
You are taking me back to my forestry 4-H project as a kid, but I think oaks are the final species in forest succession. Popular, birch, box elder - all the fast growing weedy trees colonize an area. Then the maples and oaks slowly move back in. This project was 25 years ago, so I probably forgot some things but that's my general recollection. You are seeing the beginning stages of the next oak forests starting.

·
Super Moderator
37,141 Posts
This is a kind of a big day here on the Summit. Great winter weather, ground and snow still frozen. Scout and I took an early hike (as we always do) and stopped in this 30+/- acre "Woods" that was logged off in three stages of clearing for a local developer over the past several years. It is up for sale again, about $1.5M. If it sells, it will mean no more hiking and hunting training for Scout:

View attachment 2493304

But, might make for up to 12 future house building projects for us to monitor. For those concerned, Scout and I have written permission of the current owner to roam this plot. And, have assisted the owner with a few maintenance tasks.

But, on our hike, I spotted another dead Red Oak along my trails. So, after breakfast, Scout and I rolled out for a Felling. Here is a short (1:34) video of me cleaning up the face cut, then felling this tree. Note the debarking of this tree on landing! Yea, we are that good!

Today is my Birthday, and Scout and I posed on the log to celebrate another year of loving life in the outdoors:

View attachment 2493308

The ELP recorded a great anthem for me:

Stand by, I sectioned the log and drug it away on the snow while it was still semi-firm. Video in production!
Sorry I'm late to the Birthday post! Happy Birthday Jere! Nice to spend the time with a great 4 legged companion like Scout on your Birthday!

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
Happy St Patty's Day

This past weekend I ran some TruFuel through all the saws, cleaned them up, cleaned air filters and generally declared the end of firewood cutting season. Of course there are going to be cutting opportunities through out the year, but not likely a tri-saw event. And, then this morning, rather than a pot of gold, Scout and I found and inspected this true "Windfall":

Wasn't really windy last night, and this was not down yesterday when we passed by here on our morning hike and so far unsuccessful shed hunt. Still debating whether the let this one till next year. Sadly the ticks have launched their Spring attack:

Various gnats, mosquitos, flies, . . . will certainly follow. And, it seems they are all attracted to men sweating in the woods.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Today my wife and I are scheduled to have our stimulus deposits made, and our second dose of Pfizer injected. All is well here on the summit.

Reactions: c5rulz and mikeinri

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I have an observation without any scientific backup. I have never had a tick on me when I have been out running a saw all day. No saw, and I get tons.

BTW, Beau had his first tick two days ago. He went to the vet today for lyme booster.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 ·
Man Plans - God Laughs
I reported here about a week ago my saws were put up for awhile. It got windy here yesterday and now awhile has come and gone!

I'll cut it down and drag it into the woods to dry a while, then I'll chip the branches. In case anyone suggests I don't use the rare pine I get. I'll add the trunk pieces to my shooting backstop.

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Pine makes good kindling and campfire wood, if nothing else. Good for cooking hot dogs and smores with the little guy as he gets bigger. My kids LOVE cooking at the campfire (as I did as a kid, and still do today).

Mike

Reactions: 77cruiser

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
Well, I've got more than enough oak firewood to keep a constant fire pit fire going for the rest of the year. We do like to sit around the pit and toast marshmallows, roast hot dogs, and enjoy good clean outdoor living.

So, I don't really need the pine for ceremonial doggy cooking, either in this pit, or in the fire table on the deck.

As it turns out the kids also enjoy Plinking, either with the pellet gun, or any of the adult options available here on the summit. And, I like to stay ahead of the gradual deterioration of my backstop set into the hillside.

Also left to the adults is a relative endless supply of plinking targets:

Looks like someone was holding a little low.

·
Registered
878 Posts
This gives me a chuckle. I’ll never forget when I came to school in Mass and I learned about shooting ranges. I was like, wait, you pay money to someone to let you shoot inside? Why TF, would you do that?
I grew up with enough space to have plenty of places to plink. I always liked to fill aluminum cans and milk jugs with water. Bottles make too much of a mess. We had an old truck in the woods that has hundreds of rounds in it too.

My girls aren’t interested yet, but my little one has potential.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jere39

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
Last nights wind storm did the felling for me.

Reactions: Jere39 and mikeinri

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #391 ·
Well, I've just experienced a fresh new "Felling" technique for leaners. That leaning evergreen I shared a picture of in my lawn is now down.

And all I did was take a week of vacation on the beaches of OBX. I guess we had some more wind (several of my clocks indicate I lost electricity while I was gone, but none are electro-mechanical, so rather than let me calculate how long I was without electricity, all I can really do is watch them blink!) How useful is that.

Back to my vacation - most important thing I accomplished was introduce my Grandson to kite flying along the sand that Orville and Wilbur used all those years ago:

·
Super Moderator
37,141 Posts
Then you sparked his wonder of controlling something flying...commander of a future Mars Colony ship???? Who knows, there will be opportunities we can't imagine yet.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #393 ·
Spent the afternoon working alone, as usual. sawed that Spruce (thanks @DL-North , I call all evergreens pine and know that is wrong) into 5x14' lengths and drug them limbs on into the woods.

Learned a 14' spruce with limbs on makes an excellent trail grooming drag. So, I pulled one around most of my trails. Leveled out the minor ruts of winter, spread the available leaves and chips between the roots and rocks.

Once I had them in the woods, I limbed them out. I'll let them dry a while, then chip the limbs into trail maintenance mix, right onto the trail. I'll drag the 5 logs out to add to my shooting backstop. Make up for a couple years of settling.

And, to be fair and balanced, I flew kite with my Grand-daughter too. Probably not fair to call it teaching her to fly, but she never ever wants to miss an opportunity her big brother gets.

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
Dropped this dead Alder out of the fence line. I finally got around to it today with some help from my brother and his grandson. They pulled on the rope with the New Holland while I cut. It had quite a bit of back lean into the fence and onto my cousins property. Once again I left the gopro at home so the only picks are of it loaded on the flatbed trailer. My 20" bar wasn't quite long enough so I had to work it from both sides. Once I made the face and back cuts I had my brother pull it over. I have lots of cleanup to do after this one. We will see how much salvage there is when I start the processing.

GOPR0946-m.JPG GOPR0947-m.JPG GOPR0948-m.JPG GOPR0949-m.JPG GOPR0950-m.JPG

Reactions: Jere39 and mikeinri

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
I cut this triple top Alder a couple years ago. Its located in our back pasture that we use for hay field and then late summer pasture. Dad tried to remove it with the 3 point backhoe last summer, but the ground was really dry and tough digging. We decided to try again yesterday with wet ground and had better success. The backhoe itself wasn't strong enough so I strapped a chain around it and pulled with the New Holland Workmaster 55. With both tractors on it we broke it free and rolled it up out of the hole. After scraping as much clay dirt out of the roots I grabbed the stump with the grapple an carried it to the burn pile. Now we will be able to plow this section and reclaim it for hay and pasture.

100_1789 (Medium).JPG 100_1795 (Medium).JPG GH010362-m.jpg GOPR0134-m.JPG GOPR0961-m.JPG GOPR0963-m.JPG GOPR0966-m.JPG GOPR0967-m.JPG GOPR0968-m.JPG

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Wow, that's a monster of a stump!

I'm surprised, but not shocked, that your backhoe wasn't strong enough. Most of the time, it's all about digging around the stump and cutting enough roots. Your backhoe looks big enough for that.

Sometimes the tap roots can be a problem, though, and those can be tough to reach under a wide stump.

Mike

Reactions: cjet69

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
I could definitely feel it when I was lifting.

This backhoe will dig pretty deep (12' IIRC), but does give up on leverage that the more compact ones have. Curling the bucket has the most power and broke off most of the roots. The New Holland just couldn't get the traction in our muddy ground to pull it out on its own. I cut some ruts spinning all 4 tires until it came up out of the hole.

GOPR0965-m.JPG

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #399 ·
@cjet69 I guess I might be the only one interested, but "what role did the Farmall with the manure spready attached play in this project?"

Reactions: cjet69

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
@cjet69 I guess I might be the only one interested, but "what role did the Farmall with the manure spready attached play in this project?"
This was to properly season the stump before removal. :ROFLMAO: We do things a little different here on the west coast.

Actually, I was looking for a before photo and the best I could do is take a snapshot from a video I had taken when we were cleaning out the compost bin in the cattle feedlot.

Reactions: Jere39
381 - 400 of 434 Posts