My Tractor Forum banner

241 - 252 of 252 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Ok, who has nearly 4 minutes during your shelter in place life to watch the exciting world of "what's happening on the other end of the static line". My son helped rig the line we used to steer this counter-leaning dead Red into a nice resting place between the surrounding trees. He also hung his new fangled Samsung S20 something or other in the crook of a small tree to record his high paced, intricate dance of the timberman. (Oh, and warn his mother to stay away from the woods edge). He's a great son, and in his spare time between an actual IT career, and helping me around here, he tours with a ZZTop tribute band.

·
Super Moderator
27,463 Posts
Well if you just run your mouse along the timeline you can see the whole thing in about 10 seconds! If he'd picked up a guitar I probably would have hit play to listen though! Nice to have a son that helps when available!

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Awesome! I love the look on his face when the tree started falling (towards him). That had to be a moment to wonder if you guys figured the line length right!

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I love the come along pull down method. On trees with no limbs you can pull them down with no cutting involved as the roots are also rotten and you have no stump to deal with.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
ZZTop, I was thinking Duck Dynasty, but I guess he would have been wearing como if that was the case.

·
Blank Space
3,007 Posts
Have a hill with a slew of Red Oaks that came up wild from acorns from a giant one at the top of that hill. Figgered I'd let them grow for a few years, then take them down for firewood. They started getting taller than wider and almost too close together, so I decided the current 3-4 inch diameter was good enough. Took down about a dozen of the 30 or so a few months back. Then the weather went goofy and the hill was too wet and slippery to work on.

Today, it all came together, weather, mood and ambition, so I grabbed the chainsaw and went at another 6 or 8. They all fell right exactly where I aimed them. They were all clustered close enough together that they all stacked on top of each other, nice and neat.

I understand that some of you might not think 3-4" is much of a challenge, but trust me when I say that a 25-30' Red Oak even that small in diameter can really screw up your day if you happen to be under it.

Got a few more to go, but they'll probably wait until next year now.

·
Blank Space
3,007 Posts
The stumps however shall remain for a while .... an undetermined while. Too steep to dig out and even if I could, the holes would be a bugger to keep from washing out. Plan is to cut them off flush to the surface with a recip saw .... some day ... not today.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
The stumps however shall remain for a while .... an undetermined while. Too steep to dig out and even if I could, the holes would be a bugger to keep from washing out. Plan is to cut them off flush to the surface with a recip saw .... some day ... not today.
I have the answer for those size trees.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Still (no pun intended) too much stump. Plus I don't like the potential of that thing swinging back into my leg.

Now if I could find a short shaft version of that, or a circular saw tuned sideways ....
That pic was just to show to blade's capability. I cut that stump 1" off the ground after I moved the tree. Only limitation of how low you can cut is the bottom blade retainer and willingness to sharpen the blade if you hit the dirt.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
My neighbor had a friend who is a climber come and take the tops out of two very large ash trees that were dying. This guy is now retired,is an arborist and headed a Dept. of a fairly good sized municipal dept. The one we did the other day was 32" at DBH. I cut that up with the 288XP with a 36" bar with full comp LGX.

The stump pics are a good example of what NOT TO DO. The arborist made the felling notch and cut out the heart from the hinge size because the neighbor wanted to cut it. A witness line where the back cut "should" be made but as always he always does sloping back cuts and undercut the hinge by 3-4". The hinge was cut off on the one side and the tree fell 45 degrees from the intended fall. It was painful to watch and was in slow motion watching the MS290 whining away with the ever present dull chain. Never once did the guy look up and of course no PPE or helmet. I have tried for years to help the guy but he will not listen and insists on doing things his way. The only thing that saved this from falling on the house was enough of the crown was removed and it fell short.
DSCF0008.JPG
DSCF0007.JPG
DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0002.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
This was the tree from the other day and misc. pics.

I finally retired a chain today. 4th pic. The wheel on the grinder was going to hit pawl of the vice. Last time I use a file, had to use a 3/16ths on the 3/8ths LGX chisel. Probably got my money's worth. :rolleyes:
DSCF0003.JPG
DSCF0006.JPG
DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0009.JPG
DSCF0012.JPG

241 - 252 of 252 Posts