My Tractor Forum banner

221 - 240 of 252 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
...More like send an adjuster, process the claim, and write the check. A house a few miles from me had a giant pine go through the roof (of the house, not the garage), and it had a tarp over it for the better part of a month. I would have lost my mind...

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I've had 3 standing dead oaks in my fenced back yard for a couple years now. 2 of them >50ft and 16" at the base. Wife and I took them down today. I pulled them down with a 100ft cable and come along hooked to trees. I had to fell them between my fence and house w/o hitting either.

I wanted the tree hitting the ground on video but the tree was caught in a branch and my cable was tighter than I liked. I ended up tying a rope to the cable and pulling it sideways from 50ft away with me behind trees so if it broke I was out of the line of cable whip.

The other big one got hung up in another tree falling towards my fence. I rehooked the cable to pull it away from the fence and it broke ~25ft up with the top half falling backwards and landed perfectly ~5' from my fence.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
A day of studying options and planning
Two weeks ago I posted progress on taking down a couple leaners that were over important trails in the woods. I took down the two easiest of them. But the third is just not presenting a safe way short of a D9 and a long cable, neither of which I have easy access to to get it down. Here is another view of this tree. It is broken off of, but still resting on its stump. It is well hung up high, and there is a very large branch that broke off and is perilously balanced up there. It will obviously fall when the tree does, but not obvious which way it will fall. So, here is another view of the unstable base of this tree:

This one I've decided to leave in the good hands of the Lord to bring down on his own good time.

Also previously reported were a pair of very large and healthy Oaks that were hit by lightning last Spring. Neither are currently unstable, both are going to be puzzles to get down without hitting things I'd rather not hit.

First is this nice 102" circumference Oak:

That's pert'near 3' DBH. Most of the bark was blown off by the lightning strike. It was and awesome tree in life, and still pretty imposing here in death:

It looks like it would prefer to fall on Scout's unused kennel and several planted trees and landscape items. I'll study it further.

Next is a little 92" circumference brother about 20 yards away. This one also struck by lightning had a trench of bark and sap wood ripped out of the one side top to bottom:

It is even closer to kennel and garage, but my analysis is it carries its weight away from the house. But toward an also dead, and smaller oak just next to it.

My plan of attack is to take down the smaller Oak my left hand is resting on first. Process it, clear it out of the way, then with the help of some extra precautionary rope and come-along coaxing take down the big Oak away from house, kennel, garage. You can see the lightning trench, but also see that it too is now losing bark from ground up.

These three trees should keep me busy through the rest of the winter.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,947 Posts
First is this nice 102" circumference Oak:
Next is a little 92" circumference brother about 20 yards away. This one also struck by lightning had a trench of bark and sap wood ripped out of the one side top to bottom:
These three trees should keep me busy through the rest of the winter.
And give you a bunch of firewood. Keep us posted how it goes and stay safe.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
It's amazing how much pressure is on the stump with a huge tree leaning.

Just a couple of small branches hung my trees up quadrupling the cable tension needed to pull them down and then one broke in half mid-trunk.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Anyone ever try fireworks to drop a tree like Jere's hanger???

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Anyone ever try fireworks to drop a tree like Jere's hanger???

Mike
I shot one at the base with 12ga slugs one time. All it did was drop lower on the stump. Didn't budge one inch. Shoulder got sore tho lol.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of a bunch of M-80s (do they still sell those?)...

Mike

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Took down two dead red oaks today before lunch.

This first one was leaning pretty good, and opened the back cut a little early. My wedge wasn't big enough to finish the job, should have had two. But instead, I just cut a little deeper. Still left a serious hinge.

This will make some fine firewood for next year - Scout approves:

Then I moved up to the smaller Red Oak that was in the line of fall for one of the lightning struck trees. And, again, I never got the wedge. It fell nicely till it caught up high about a third of the way down. I had to take a little more out of the hinge to relieve the strength and let it fall the rest of the way.

And, it too came down safely and is ready for firewood processing.

You can see there is quite a crook in it out there.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Got a few oaks that need to come down, infested by something that (I assume) the birds are going after under the bark.

Mike

20200118_144616.jpg
20200118_144626.jpg
20200118_144637.jpg

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Hello fellow Tree Felling watchers. I have all my 2019/20 firewood delivered. Now, it's time to start replenishing for next year. I have a couple more dead Red Oak, my favorite marked for this year.

This one is just about 24" at my cut height, and I decided to take advantage of the fine weather, with only my 20" bar on my Dolmar 6100. So, I opened a nice face cut, did my back cut from my natural side, and set my wedges. But, still had a little too much meat on the other side of the tree. So, I tapped the wedges again, and walked around to pull the trigger on those last couple inches.

I finished up the tank of fuel with some bucking, till I cut through into a rock. Stopped for this picture, and to put on another chain and get my woods partner out of quarantine.

I know my videos get long, and I've already shared more than a dozen, so, if you really want to see the whole 4 minutes of the start, face, back, and trigger, it's on my YouTube channel. Subscribers welcome. Comments welcome too.

Stay safe there my friends, and remember: I am not sharing training video, I am not recommending anyone operate like me. I do not suggest any of my safety wear, or techniques. I just like to work in the woods, run my saws, and my GoPro.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Looking good, Jere!

I have 10-12 to drop, all dead/dying and likely infested. I'm a little worried about dropping a few of them, as there are other trees in their direction of lean, some with questionable branches in the way (potential window makers). I may let nature take over on those.

Mike

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
Scout agrees! I finished up the bucking, and some rolling to open my pathways. Then took a nice afternoon contemplative sit in the sunshine with Scout:

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Alright guys, I might be the only one knocking down trees anymore, but here in PA - Logging is considered a "Life Sustaining" activity, and therefore is still legal. The weather is grand, and I'm outside working, except for this quick lunch break. So, video editing of the actual sawing will come later.

This one had a nasty lean in the wrong direction, so we threw a line on it, and gave it a little belt and suspenders influence in our preferred direction. Here is a 20 second video of launching a line through that distinct Y up there in the tree more or less in the center:

Stay tuned!

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Very nice! I'm at work, hoping to drop a few later today or tomorrow.

Mike

·
Registered
369 Posts
If it would ever quit raining i'd like to get out and have a early start on next year but from the looks of the next weeks weather that won't happen again.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,569 Posts
Yeap, weather sucks right now, it's either cold or warm and rainy. Mother nature is not cooperating at all!

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
That first place to shoot for was up there pretty far, emptied the throw-line bag on that sling. My static lines were not individually long enough, so I spliced two with a zeppelin bend,

Knocked this one down, and right where I wanted it, as opposed to where it leaned. Certainly the line helped:

Dulled a chain while bucking, mounted a fresh one, and finished it up. Stopped before an ax or maul even made it into the woods.

Standing by the fruits of our labor:

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Nice job, Jere. Only missing the Benny Hill music!

Mike

221 - 240 of 252 Posts