My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GT-5000 and I have been looking at a Johnny Bucket. But I started wondering if there are any other manufactorers of a simular FEL. So do any of you guys have any other simular products that I can check out. I want one that that isn't hand operated.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Sears has one, but it's no good. How do I know, I have one. The Johnny bucket is not a true FEL, it only raises a few inchs off the ground. A true FEL will raise up over your head as you sit on the tractor.

Dan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey....not so fast to knock the Sears unit. Granted, it's not as heavy duty as the Jonny bucket, but........with a little ingenuity, it's quite useful.
First, the GT5000(which I have, too) is not a garden tractor. The best use of the bucket with this tractor is as a "power" wheelbarrow. You can do some light scooping & lifting bit it's not a digger! I added linear actuators to my Sears unit, so I get about 16" of lift and also have a power dump.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Hey....not so fast to knock the Sears unit. Granted, it's not as heavy duty as the Jonny bucket, but........with a little ingenuity, it's quite useful.
First, the GT5000(which I have, too) is not a garden tractor. The best use of the bucket with this tractor is as a "power" wheelbarrow. You can do some light scooping & lifting bit it's not a digger! I added linear actuators to my Sears unit, so I get about 16" of lift and also have a power dump.

What does GT stand for Mike. I put my bucket on a GT2548 Huskvarna with 24-12-12 tires and a 25hp. Kawasaki engine. I have drawings to put the power actuators on it, I'm just to cheap. The handles are a royal PITA.

Dan

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
A couple posts back, there was a discussion of frame failure on certain model & year GT's. It caught my eye, even though I only have an 'LT', but I did have a frame issue this past winter. Investigation showed me that all tractors have limits as to what they can do, those limits are due to the type and thickness of the frame material.
My LT manual says I can add a snowblower. My frame problem was caused by a snow plow, that is much lighter than the blower that could be installed. Installing that blower would have caused much worse frame problems. I now have a blower sitting in the garage with no tractor to put it on.
The plow stays on the LT, and the frame has been adapted to handle the amounts of snow that we have.
I'd love to have earth engaging tools for the LT, but it's not designed for it. So, sometime I'll have to buy a GT with a frame designed specifically for the accessory that I want to use.
I could have used a Sears 'Johnny bucket' for the small walkway stone dust job I just finished, but the tractor's frame wasn't designed for it. And my 'new' GT isn't due until next tax season, if the wife says so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I stand corrected.......my current tractor is a Craftsman "Monster" tractor.
It's supposedly between a lawn tractor and a garden tractor, and not designed for ground engaging equipment.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

That kind of use would be OK for me. But I wanted to know if there were any other companies producung a simular product. I tried doing a Google search but couldn't find any. But that really doesn't mean any thing, sometimes if you don't ask just the right way you can't find what you want.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
There have been some ingenious accessories added to the backs of tractors that have been described on MTF here. Most required a hydraulic system, material, and expertise. Doing what they did, I can only dream about.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,448 Posts
No,thats not really the case--..it's not that difficult to make one,if you have a snowplow for your tractor,its half built already!..

I saw a post here where someone made their plow blade into a bucket on the "homemade" section,and I was inspired to build one like it--I had an old JD blade,and I fabbed up a mount for it,I put it on my MTD,which is by NO means a "garden tractor",its a 20HP riding mower disgused as one..

I used a small 12V winch to lift and lower the blade/bucket,by making a platform to mount it on, right above the mount for the plow..I made the bucket dump feature foot operated,since my legs are long and a lot stronger than my arms are..

I used it to haul over 100 gravestone sized boulders about 1000' from my backyard to in front of my house to make a rock border for a flower bed last suummer,along with a cart,but I soon abandoned the cart in favor of the bucket!..it picked them up easily,the tractor however,was barely up to the task,I could feel it flexing and the steering was very stiff and the gears "skipped" when the frame flexed sometimes,but it got the job done..I had to strap a large 250 lb stone on the rear of the tractor to keep the rear wheels planted and to avoid flipping it..

The 1000 lb winch I used is pretty amazing,I never did wire it properly,with an "up-down" switch,since I found the tractor is too light for it,I simply used an old pair of jumper cables I had,cut off the clamps on one end,and just touched the clamps to the battery to raise and lower the bucket..even using it with a "straight line" pull,with no snatch block,I tried putting the bucket under my trucks back bumper,and tried lifting up with it--I have NO doubt it would have either lifted the truck,or folded the MTD in half,so I didn't try letting it do it!..hydrailics ARE nice,but a winch is cheap and much easier to hook up,for the average person..I used a larger battery from a Honda Civvic in my tractor,it fit in OK,and didn't have any issues,since the winch is only on for about 3-4 seconds to lift the bucket fully up,and it will lift up about 18" off the ground..

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found a differant manufactorer on line today. There url is
http://www.kellyproductsinc.com/Home_Page.php
I see some problems with this bucket though. It sits to far out in front of the tractor. So you would have to have really large rear counter weight. And the site doesn't show the unit doing any real work. But on the other hand I like how high the unit lifts compared to the Johny Bucket. But so far I am thinking about the JB.

·
Registered
473 Posts
When you bolt on an FEL I would take very heavy 1 1/2" by 2" angle iron and run it down both sides of the frame. They tractors seem to buckle there. Heavy angle or flat bar with 4 bolts should keep this from happening. There is a lot of weight extended. The pounds double for every foot extended out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts