My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to remove my FEL today from my BX 2660. Rolled forward bucket, and lifted front wheels off the ground. Left pin slipped right out. The right hand pin (looking from the seat) would not budge. I tried many times, same problem. I tried it on level cement floor, and about 10 different places in the gravel drive. Same thing. I noticed the pin on the right didn't have the cross pin in the hole, so I was able to take a hammer and a block of wood to at least rotate the large pin, and put the movable pin in to the hole on the side of the arms. It must have been delivered like that. I had to mow with my loader on. I stopped every ten minutes to try again, but the right pin would NOT budge. I tried a search on this forum, and only found a few topics on misaligned brackets on the tractor itself. Has anyone else experienced this, and found a fix? I've only moved a little dirt with the bucket, haven't stressed it at all. I don't even have 10 hours on the tractor! Thanks.

·
22,354 Posts
If the stuck pin has a handle on it, try to rotate it as you play gently with the lift control, adding and removing pressure on the bucket on the floor. If it turns, stop with the hydraulics and pull the pin. Then set the loader up for removal.

Make sure that there is no debris in the areas where the loader contacts the tractor after you get it off.

It might work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Bob. I tried that. I used a board and a hammer, and finally reached the point that I could rotate the pin. I played a lot with the hydraulics, and could barely rotate it by hand. I thought of using a come along or even chaining it to my Simplicity Prestige ( Orange! ) and using great force to pull it out. But i figured that would either damage the pin and FEL, or I would never be able to install it again. I looked everywhere for an adjustment, but didn't see anything.

·
Retiring
12 Posts
The left pin on my 2660 (5 hours) is much more difficult to remove/install than the right pin. But I can get it in and out by hand w/out tools. It was tight at the dearer and they said it would loosen up with use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's good to hear, C-Dory. I imagine I could really work at it to get it out, and then check out the pin. I like Bob's idea also about debris in the loader contact. But this is a brand new tractor! I should have tested it when it was delivered a few weeks ago. I'd hate to take it back to the dealer, as he is 75 miles away. I hope nothing is bent, and it just takes using it to loosen it up. But that pin is in there TIGHT. At least the loader still works properly.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,090 Posts
Be careful when moving the loader with only one pin attached. It is possible to torque the loader, which could cause it to sit unevenly on the ground, but more importantly, it could make it even more difficult to insert the pins later on. I have found that sometimes one of the pins won't line up. My solution is to roll the bucket back to level, pull the other pin and start over. Other times they both line up on the first try. Put some grease on the pins. Keep the idle at about 1600 and move the loader valve gently and slowly. Make sure both side arms are touching the main arms or it will never line up. And from my experience, it will not loosen up over time.

·
22,354 Posts
Make a press.

- 3 lengths of 2x2 square tube long enough to cross the position of the pin location, one over the pin to push it out and the other 2 on either side of the pin for a reaction point.

- 2 more pieces of square tube across the reaction pieces with a pair of 5/8" fine thread bolts to tie the whole mess together.

- If there is room to get the handle through the resulting hole formed by the 4 pieces on the reaction side, tack weld them together for easier handling.

- Drill a 1/2" hole in the press piece lined up with the pin and insert a bolt with a coupling nut bearing against the pin.

- Tighten the 5/8 bolts one turn on each side at a time until the press piece is up against the arm.

- Add spacers in front of the coupling nut as the pin is forced out.

Some variation of the above will get it out since there is (barely) enough clearance to allow you to force the pin to turn.

Inspect for debris, and possibly dress the pin with fine emory cloth to reduce its size slightly, or use a brake cylinder hone to open up and true the hole.

It only takes a very few thousandths of an inch to make the difference between a tight fit (what you have ), and a loose fit (what you want). Marks left on the pin from manipulation will show precisely where and what the problem was. Focus on circumferential marks and check that location in the hole.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, you are quite the engineer, Bob! That sounds like a pretty good plan. Sounds like it doesn't take much to get them stuck. I can't wait to get back out to the farm and mess with it again. I decided to stop and not do anything while I was perturbed. I wanted to ask the question on this forum, get some good information and then go back and tackle it. And once I get it out, I'm definitely going to a lot of grease on those things as APiNY suggested.

·
22,354 Posts
What you have is something slightly out of spec. It won't take much to put it in spec.

Don't use too much grease. You only have a small volume to work with and the rest just makes a mess outside of the working area.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
10-4. Might not be able to get to the tractor in a few days, as the Illinois river at Beardstown is going to rise to record levels later this week. Might break the levee. Hope the sandbags hold, and people don't get hurt or lose everything.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I talked to my dealer today, and the salesman/mechanic Bill said the pins went in easy when he assembled it. He said he didn't think I messed anything up, it might have shifted a bit while I was using it. He gave me advice on things to try. Make sure it's level, try bouncing bucket a little while raising the tractor to try to seat the FEL, and if that doesn't work I could try to loosen the bolts on the mounting plate to see if it would seat correctly. If I can't get it to work, he's willing to drive 60 miles out to the farm and try to fix it. Now that's good service! I also had a question on getting the mower deck to lock in to place, and he told me exactly what to look for and how to adjust it. I feel much better knowing that if I can't fix it, they will take care of me. I had a good feeling when I bought the tractor. You're just never sure how you'll be treated after the sale. I'll let y'all know how it comes out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good news! I finally had a chance to get back out to the farm. We had to mow the grass after 3 weeks of rain. I put down the stand, and lifted the front wheels with the bucket. I grabbed the pin, twisted it to get some movement, and yanked on it. It moved a quarter inch, then popped right out! After removing the FEL, I put the pin back in the holes on the brackets to check the fit. It seems like too much paint, or a small burr. I believe I'll be good now. Since it was new, I was being too cautious earlier. I mowed high grass and weeks for hours. This 2660 is a beast!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts