My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
21,722 Posts
I would not use any type of fluid that is classified as hydraulic fluid. Rotella 15w40 is to be used. Now I have a 448 that is setup for snow blowing only I had to go to 5w40 because I was popping hoses do to the extreme cold.
Motor oil, ATF, AW46, Rotella 15w40, vegetable oil, and water are all hydraulic fluids when used in a hydraulic system.

The root of the word hydraulic is the classical Greek word for water . . . hydor.

The hydro in my GT and the separate loader hydraulic system both use Dexron ATF and have for the past 22 years of service life. Never popped a hose, even at -30° F.

·
21,722 Posts
Tudor
Keep in mind we are talking about tractor that are classified as lawn tractors. Lets say and go in the middle of your quoted horsepower usage of a hydraulic pump a model 444 is a 14 Hp motor a power loss of 3 hp is a lot. Mine is a 16Hp and it is very much noticeable when the 2nd pump is in use. That's why I chose to use the travel valve with the power beyond option.
The loader pump for the loader on my 12 hp GT had a relief setting of 1500 psi and could flow almost 6 gpm at WOT. That is just about 6 hp. At that pressure, the loader could theoretically lift over a ton. Since the tractor and all of it's ballast wasn't heavy enough to counter that kind of load, the pump never saw that pressure except at end of stroke.

Since the loader could raise the bucket a foot in a bit over 1 second, horsepower demands on the engine were miniscule and it rarely slowed down until the cylinders reached end of stroke, and then only long enough for me to release the control. The little 12 hp never slowed down even when scraping up the side of a pile of dirt while pushing hard enough to break traction, and I only ran it at 2/3 throttle.

The Case tractors use a hydraulic drive where the pump flows at max for the engine rpm and that takes extra horsepower as soon as the tractor starts moving compared to the same requirements for a hydro.

Don't blame the second pump for sucking up the extra horsepower when it's the primary pump's fault.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have short frame 446 with a loader. You do not want to have a separate pump for the loader it will use to many Hp and take away from your engine Hp. If you install a travel control valve with the power beyond hook up it will be much better. there is a travel control valve the can be adapted, it will look and work just like a power beyond valve. I can do the conversion for you. With that valve you tractor will be more use full and there will not be so much power loss
I shot you a private message. Looking for more info on this!

Shawn

21 - 23 of 23 Posts