My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about how smooth (or not) the raising and lowering action is of a FEL and backhoe on a 1635 or 1643.

·
10,839 Posts
While I don't have any experience with that model, I think the answer is how much experience you have with it. When I started running a hoe, a clear field was a requirement. Now I'm pretty smooth on one.

On your two tractors listed, the 1643 would be smoother when doing two (or more) functions at once because of the higher flow rate, capacity, and pump size on the hydraulics.

I have heard complaints on this forum on smaller tractors not being able to do two functions at once well, (lift and curl as an example) but that was on a 25 hp engine. Not the same league as the 35 and 43 hp tractors you listed.

·
Handyman
872 Posts
I'll just confirm for you that the backhoe on my smaller GC2410 is slower when attempting two functions at once.

I used to have a backhoe feed by a 17 gallon per minute pump. The 6.3 gallons per minute the GC2410 puts out took some getting used to but the little machine is a brute for its size.

·
massey1635
71 Posts
I seem to remember someone commenting on 'jerky' action on their MF FEL. Not sure what model but I think is was one of the 1600 series. It acted as if there was air in the line. Before I bought my 1635 I asked the dealer about it and he said MF had installed a device to absorb the shock. My loader operates very smooth, almost to fast at times. I do not have a backhoe. Ask and see what the deales has to say.

·
22,771 Posts
If it's too fast, back off the throttle a little until you get 'in the groove'. In close quarters it's wise to back off the throttle anyway.

Bob :rauch10:

·
Super Moderator
32,161 Posts
While I don't have any experience with that model, I think the answer is how much experience you have with it. When I started running a hoe, a clear field was a requirement. Now I'm pretty smooth on one.
If it's too fast, back off the throttle a little until you get 'in the groove'. In close quarters it's wise to back off the throttle anyway.

Bob

Im with these two.... When I first got mine, I was a mess!!! All over the place, real jerky... I ran the RPM's down a little, and worked on being real smooth on the controls, and I smoothed out a LOT. Still not a pro by ANY means!!!... but getting better.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I do not have any experience with this tractor either but a lot of experience with backhoe's on CUTS and running excavators, with myself when I started and all new operators, man it can look pretty wild and what I tell staff is they are overthnking, go slow, be smooth, once you are onto it they are quite smooth.

Our smallest how is on a 2305 and even with experience it can be a little jerky but when you get into the bigger models it's much better.

The other thing is to keep the RPM's down, it will make a big difference during this learning period.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts