My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tired of the lack of speed control as mine has never worked right despite replacing the carb with a brand new one. sticks in wide open and wont idel down. cant find anything wrong. has anyone ever replaced the plastic carb with the metal walbro? is it a straightfoward swap?

·
5,866 Posts
Hey Dan! Not sure about the swap but I did cross check your model against my 10401 and the carb is listed as the same. Mine will run on low speed when first started but once warmed up there is no noticable difference between high and low. The only thing that I could find is the part the throttle cable hooks on to, part number 3 in the drawing, has a lot of flex and really doesn't push all the way to the low position. On the carbs without the throttle cable you can physically push the lever and lock it on high or low but on the one I have it never quite makes it there. Bill

https://www.shoplawnboy.com/Comerge...illustrationID=309721&drawingTitle=Carburetor Assembly

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,770 Posts
I think it is the same carb as was on my 10518. I swapped over to a walbro and I dont think I had to change anything but the throttle cable. Cant remember what one I used though, been about 7 years since that project. If I recall right though, the vane stuck on it too.. sheesh.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I swapped both of my 10545s and my 10520 to walbros. You need a throttle cable, the walbro carb itself, the walbro airbox, the proper walbro gaskets and the mounting screws. Also, all of my walbro carbs are primer equiped. So, if you can find one with a primer, then hunt ebay for a primer assembly from a 8073 or 7073. Gives you choke and primer, best of both worlds. Just pull your plastic carb and its gasket and make sure your block has the pulse port on it. Beyond that its a very easy swap.

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,085 Posts
Yes another vote for a straight forward swap. Just need donor carb, air box, flange gasket and throttle cable and you will be good to go.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
I had a 10518 that was exactly like that. Annoying as ****. If you need any parts for the swap let me know.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
Do what you want but if your walboro has the hole like the intake in my pic...don't you think yours should as well?

Just something I've noticed on some of my walboro equipped engines...Not sure if they all are that way but a couple I've dealt with has.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow lots of help-thanks. yes i noticed the linkage issue and made shure mine was going all the way to low-it is and most of the time dosnt matter. i am going ahead with the swap. will report back my sucess or failure

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,085 Posts
I think you will be really pleased with the conversion. I replaced the plastic carb on my fathers 10401 with the Walbro and it ran better than it ever had. My only regret is after meticuously cleaning and restoring that engine he installed the engine on the mower without even cleaning the deck or shroud so it still looks pretty much like it did before. It may look like crap, but it will cut through anything now. LOL

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok spent the afternoon on the 22241 and the conversion is done! she runs like an f should. i was at the point i almost gave up on this engine. replaced the crankshaft seals and decarboned the exaust. she has a new lease on life. the collector value has gone down as its not original anymore but would rather have a proper working mower . i saved all the orig parts if anyone who gets it after me wants to put it back stock. changed the control panel as the throttle cables are diff. i used a 10415 as a donor. (bought to use as a parts machine) thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the 22241 is dead again . after replacing the short block with a good used one -it ran great used it for several months in the biz and today it started vibrating and making a strange growling noise and then smoke and it seized up. think it spun a top bearing. i will tear it down and report soon. at this rate i will run out of f short blocks before the season is out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts