My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No snow this month (ok, still only the second day, but the groundhog predicts six more weeks). The last two years my firewood efforts were shut down by snow too deep to get far into the woods in January and February. This year, it's about the only thing I'm doing.

But, in fact, my firewood work is technically snow storm clean up. I wrote about the number of trees and tree tops we lost due to the October snow storm. I've long since cleaned up the driveway, power lines and lawn. But, I've got plenty of trees down in the woods. And with the great weather, like many of you, I'm stocking in next year's fire wood.

Yesterday I split and stacked about half a cord of wild cherry and mulberry on my fruit wood pile. Today I'm all about the red oak.

Here is the other half of the timber processing team:

Note, since adding my partner to the firewood processing team we've lost no timbermen to bear, mountain lion, bobcat, coyote, or fox.

I try to lift each piece as few times as possible, so the little 15S cart lets me wind my way from tree location to my stacks where I split and stack it. This is all oak that was live in October, should season out just right for burning next winter.

And another angle just because the tractor is so darn photogenic

And, while I was in the woods, I cleaned up this beech tree that fell across one of my cart paths. Throwing some "snow white" chips:

I know, no chaps; but hearing protection, safety glasses and an Owner's Edition JD Hat.

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
Thanks for the pictures! Looks like a lot of progress for next winter. We have only had an inch of snow since the October storm, and it wasn't enough to plow. I've enjoyed the warm weather, but hope we get a little snow before spring.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
Jere,

You've got a nice piece of property there. And you are making good use of the mild weather -- I'm sure Mother Nature will find a way to pay back next year. Judging by the looks of your woodpiles, you'll be ready!

Note, since adding my partner to the firewood processing team we've lost no timbermen to bear, mountain lion, bobcat, coyote, or fox.
:D Speaking of which, any sign or sound of the earlier visitor (i.e. marten, fisher, etc.) ?

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jere,

. . .

:D Speaking of which, any sign or sound of the earlier visitor (i.e. marten, fisher, etc.) ?
Sadly, I've never heard the sound again after that video (audio) I posted. I wrote it up in a blog I publish and shared it on the PA Trappers website where most suggested either bobcat or fisher. I've since seen a nice big red fox trotting a big ragged circle scent marking each of my brush piles and yelping at each one. I didn't have my camera with me, would have been a great video, but I was sawing, and I've had a bit of a problem with saw dust and my camera. Recently I've found some 5-toe tracks I can't verify, seem too big for raccoon, but I'm not sure. I'll post pictures of the tracks in snow and mud to that original thread, maybe another clue, maybe totally unrelated.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Excellent pictures and thank you for putting them on. You sure have some very nice property and to be able to have a really nice tractor and all that wood to cut, your in heaven.

Also your buddy, he watches out for you and I always look for him in your pictures, he's a keeper for sure:fing32:

Rob

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I just checked your area for red tailed hawks and copied this.

Red Tailed hawks give us a good look from the end of the first week of September until mid November; they are fairly common, but that does not detract from their wonder. Actually, many Red tailed hawks remain here in Chester County all year for our viewing pleasure; they are always a delight to see.

A big bird, Red tailed hawks primarily eat mice, voles and other similar critters. They will take young game birds when available. Young rabbits also fear, justifiably, the Red tail's talons. Rabbits are generally about at night, which helps them avoid hawks, but not owls.

I'll be quiet now.

Rob

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
It's nice to get out and get some work done this time of year without freezing your butt off. Thanks for the pics. slkpk

·
Registered
1,908 Posts

Red Tailed hawks give us a good look from the end of the first week of September until mid November; they are fairly common, but that does not detract from their wonder. Actually, many Red tailed hawks remain here in Chester County all year for our viewing pleasure; they are always a delight to see.

A big bird, Red tailed hawks primarily eat mice, voles and other similar critters. They will take young game birds when available. Young rabbits also fear, justifiably, the Red tail's talons. Rabbits are generally about at night, which helps them avoid hawks, but not owls.

I'll be quiet now.

Rob
Two summmers ago I was mowing out back. A Red tailed hawk landed on a branch of a Poplar on the edge of the woods, about 12 feet off the ground. It sat there for several minutes while I mowed the field grass, waiting for mice. Even when I mowed directly underneath it, it never moved. They`re fearless birds.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. That October storm took it's toll up here too. I still have one maple to take down near the driveway.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I'll be quiet now.

Rob
Rob, Thanks for the comments, and ideas. I am very well aware of the scream that a Red Tail Hawk makes, there is a large pair that nests here in the woods every year. I've had the male strike and kill a rabbit that sprang from a brush pile I was piling on. This very large shadow dove right over my head and killed the rabbit before I could even process the sights and sounds. But, to be honest, as many times as I've heard the hawks scream, especially when protecting their nest from the crows, it has never sounded like the scream I posted. I've never picked up the growl/rumble that starts the beginning of this scream. FWIW, I've also seen and heard bald eagles and golden eagles here when canoing on the local rivers. But since, I don't know what the source is, I can't definitively rule out anything. Thanks again for your thoughts.

·
Deere Guru
505 Posts
I've been doing the same, cleaning up from the storm we had in October still. I'll be splitting more wood this weekend for sure. Nice work BTW!

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
Thanks for the pics and great write up Jere, everything looks just great.:thThumbsU I have some trees to take down too and the neighbors just took a few down, so I am itching and with no snow in WNY in Feb., I should be outside! But, I have a honey-do list which involves painting the family room....which I should be doing right now!:dunno:

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the pics and great write up Jere, everything looks just great.:thThumbsU I have some trees to take down too and the neighbors just took a few down, so I am itching and with no snow in WNY in Feb., I should be outside! But, I have a honey-do list which involves painting the family room....which I should be doing right now!:dunno:
Yeah, me too, I'm in the process of "organizing" the laundry room. All the wall cabinets are hung, next I need to add some moulding around the edges, oh yeah, and some knobs too. But, that's inside work, and I'll save it for the evening.

BTW, this crazy weather has brought out the ticks in the woods down here, so, check your itching.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts