Owensboro, Ky

Are you married?
Yes, to Mary Jo, I have been shackled to my ball and chain for 45 years

Do you have any children?
One, April, who is 43

Do you have any pets?
Yes, his name is Sunny, a mixed breed.
JohnW 1.JPG
He is a rescue that we got just one day before he was to go. We have had him for almost 9 years now, he served as caretaker when I was recovering from surgery. Stayed by my side and would go find my wife when I needed something, most times :tango_face_grin:. There were some funny pics of him "working" at that time but I couldn't find them. SWMBO has them hidden.

Sadly he has developed a congestive heart condition and the vet said we are on borrowed time.

What do you do to earn a living?
Retired from AT&T in 2012

How old are you?

How did you come to join MTF?
I was looking for a nice place to talk about tractors and other things of interest WITHOUT any political commentary.

What are your favorite forums and why?
MTF, it is my first stop when I get on line each day. I also enjoy visiting several shooting forums like Rimfire Central, Rimfire Accuracy or Savage Shooters for my firearm habit. Then there truck forums, RV travel and camping forums I frequent.

What do you like most about MTF?
The welcoming attitude of the majority of forum members and support of the admins. There is a lot of Great information posted around between the members and even though a lot of it could be found with a search, they don't mind repeating it for the new guy or gal.

Please list your tractors and/or equipment:
1957/59/64 mutt of a tractor - Ford 850. 2013 Husqvarna GTH26V52LS. 1986 John Deere 318

JohnW 5.JPG JohnW 3.JPG

What is your favorite tractor or piece of equipment and why?
Gotta love my Mutt Ford tractor and bush hog or finish mower. Everything looks so much better and cleaner after it has been cut.

JohnW 7.jpg

Is there a tractor or piece of equipment you'd love to own someday?
Back years ago when I was a vocational instructor teaching heavy equipment operation and repair there was an old Caterpillar D6B that was my favorite crawler tractor. My wife has encouraged me to look for one and I have looked at a few but there just is no good reason or space to have one at home.

I have many happy memories of that machine, like when one of the tracks came off while on the edge of a 75+ foot high wall on loose rock, or the student that challenged me on who could make the smoothest cut or cutting fire breaks to fight forest fire. Many, many more GOOD TIMES and stories from those days!!!

Tell us some of the tasks you use your tractors and/or equipment for?
I do a LOT of mowing, clearing and cleaning up of my woods. Remove that nasty old stuff they call snow before and after the county pushes it into my driveway. Helping my SIL cleanup his property.

Could you describe your property for us?
We have 12 acres with woods on about half of it and pasture for the horse, we are down to one horse now. Property is odd shaped, it was originally part of a family farm and for whatever reason they made it pie shaped with the woods in the pointy end.

JohnW 6.JPG

Is there something you'd love to build or restore someday?
If I could find it, I once owned a 1966 Chevy 3/4 ton step side pickup that would be fun to redo but in lieu of that I am thinking about rebuilding the 1970 Chevy pickup sitting by the shop. But first I need to build more space to store the stuff in the way so I can have room to work on things such as a truck or tractor.

Most memorable tractor moment?
The night an 8N that dad was using to plow the tobacco plot caught fire. The gas tank went off like a cannon. Fire ball must have gone 40' into the air. We rewired it, slapped a little paint on it and put it back to work.

Earliest tractor memories?
Riding on an old steel wheel McCormick Deering with dad, the heat coming off the engine was, to a 6 year old, like a blast furnace. It was the first and only time I rode on that tractor. That old tractor was on my grand dads property until the estate was sold.

Do you have any other hobbies or interests that you'd like to share with us?
My wife and I are trying to see as much of the great country as we can. There are several areas that I had the privilege of visiting because of work and I hope to take her to see them now. When at home I enjoy shooting, targets, as i no longer can hunt because of my injuries. I really like wood working, making small pieces of wood out of big pieces of wood. I don't make anything to speak of other than a lot of saw dust.

JohnW 2.JPG JohnW 8.jpg

What do the other people in your life think of your "tractor" hobby?
I get teased some but for the most part supported especially when things get done because of the power and versatility of a good tractor and attachments. My SIL has now caught the fever and has purchased a tractor and some implements but mostly using mine.

A few more things to share, back in my teaching days I finally became the supervising instructor and remained there for 18 years. During that time I was required by my employer to take a national competency test (NOCTI) that I passed with a 98%, one of the highest scores attained at that time. I also lead the team that wrote the heavy equipment operator training curriculum that was adopted in the early 90's for use by the Department of Labor for its vocational training programs.

By 2000 I had been to schools and been certified for computer networking, computer repair, fiber optics installation/repair and Nortel/Lucent communication systems. I then went to work for Bell South installing and repairing digital circuits until I transferred into a Central Office maintaining the local switches for 5 counties until Bell South was purchased by AT&T. I remained in the central office until 2012 when they would no longer accommodate my work restrictions placed on me from the accident in 2008 and was forced to retire.

feb17_fmom.png

·
5K and there's still more
7,207 Posts
Congratulations, John.
Nice to get to know a little bit about you.

Take some comfort in knowing that you are not alone.
I know another 63 year old they put out to pasture,
and I am enjoying every single moment of my new "job"!

I hope you are doing the same.

Life is too short to not be enjoying the heck out of it.

Donewrken

:fing32:

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Congrats!

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,297 Posts
Congratulations John! You're very deserving, MTF's lucky to have you :fing32:

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,740 Posts
Congratulations John! What a great bio you have! You have done many interesting things. I like that Mutt Ford! :thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Thank you all for the kind words.

·
Administrator
12,862 Posts
Congratulations John, very nice read! I like that Mutt Ford as well!

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Congratulations John. Quite a history you have there. A master of many crafts.

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,820 Posts
Congratulations, John!

Good to get to know you, looks like your retirement is going just fine.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Congratulations John !..

I enjoyed reading your blog,and it sounds like you share many interests with me--I've always liked old Chevy trucks the best (and GMC's!)--wish I had kept my '56 3200 series pickup I had years ago..always wanted a 60-66 Chevy or GMC pickup or Suburban panel truck but never was able to find one any good for a good price..maybe someday..

My property is shaped like yours too,like a pizza slice--wide at the street,and tapers back to a point some 900 feet back--but its only 1.75 acres..I'd love to have 20!..(but not the taxes that would go with it..)..

I had a 1958 (?) Ford 841 tractor with a loader,that is very similar to yours too...another machine I regret selling now..the older I get--the more I miss the loader!..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Congratulations John !..

I enjoyed reading your blog,and it sounds like you share many interests with me--I've always liked old Chevy trucks the best (and GMC's!)--wish I had kept my '56 3200 series pickup I had years ago..always wanted a 60-66 Chevy or GMC pickup or Suburban panel truck but never was able to find one any good for a good price..maybe someday..

My property is shaped like yours too,like a pizza slice--wide at the street,and tapers back to a point some 900 feet back--but its only 1.75 acres..I'd love to have 20!..(but not the taxes that would go with it..)..

I had a 1958 (?) Ford 841 tractor with a loader,that is very similar to yours too...another machine I regret selling now..the older I get--the more I miss the loader!..

Does sound like we were cut from the same cloth. There is just no way I could store all the vehicles I wish I had not sold and those I would like to find. And YES I also miss my old loader, in fact today I was putting up an antenna tower to replace the one I had set with my loader years ago.

·
Premium Member
8,216 Posts
Congrats John! Very deserving member!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,970 Posts
Great bio!

Congratulations, John. You have definitely earned the award! :congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts