My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like they say, "a feature isn't worth anything, unless it has a benefit."

I've always made an effort to invent. But, there's many products that have great features without any benefits. So, today I've come up with couple that some on here may use.

I have two Australian Shepherds (dogs). They are very smart, and one is smarter than the other. The smart one is more devoted to me and what I'm doing, like doing the garden, plowing, and most of all mowing the yard. Gabe the smart one thinks when I'm mowing, he wants to guide me where to mow. When I'm mowing, he runs in front of the tractor several feet to make sure that I'm mowing the yard correctly, like I should turn to the right or left when I come to the edge of the yard. He will do this the entire time...all seven acres. Sometimes he gets confused when it's time to turn...right or left. So, I've come up with a plan to help Gabe make the right move. And that is to install...that's right---turn signals. I know, I Know, you can put me in Brett's category on mods for the tractor. But, I see this is a feature with many benefits. One being the dog will look around and know which way I'm turning when I turn on the signal. How's that for the "tip" of the day.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
What is this.. Poke the Brett Day?

Hey even I didn't install Turn Signals :)

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Why not just use hand signals? I teach my dogs to read sign language.

You said you have a "couple". What's the other feature?

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is this.. Poke the Brett Day?

Hey even I didn't install Turn Signals :)
Sorry, about the mistake...It was "flasher lights" you added and not turn signals.

Didn't imply there's poking of fun here, just referring to you as the tractor modifier. However, I see you haven't spent time in the military.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Sorry, about the mistake...It was "flasher lights" you added and not turn signals.

Didn't imply there's poking of fun here, just referring to you as the tractor modifier. However, I see you haven't spent time in the military.
Not sure what the Military comment is for, if you are saying I can't take it, you are mistaken, that's why there was a smilie in the post.. My skin is a mile thick, has to be to hold back my awesomeness! :thThumbsU :trink39:

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

LLigetfa, One of my other added features I've thought about...a remote start system. I've searched the internet trying to come up with the schematics, but no luck. I own a 2009 Buick with the remote start, which I've never used, and don't know if it really works. But, that is a feature without an honest good benefit.

·
Registered
317 Posts

My dog was the same way leading me all over the yard, it took me 2 yers to figure out the hand signals. One day it just hit me :banghead3she follows hand signals perfectly in field the why not at home.

·
Super Moderator
35,807 Posts
You could whistle train your dog and add a whistle to you tractor, neighbors might think you've gone over the deep edge, but the dog will enjoy it!

·
Registered
178 Posts
My Aussie always thinks it's time to play fetch when I'm mowing. He follows me around with a tennis ball in his mouth the entire time. Maybe someone could invent a tennis ball gatherer for the mower so when he drops it I don't have to get off the mower to pick it up. :)

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
I like it. I will be sure to "option" this feature on my new tractor, along with a heated vest and Center of Gravity Re-Locator.

:D:D:D

·
Registered
833 Posts
GABE, the aussie dog sounds adorable:
- FD611V you truly have a gifted bond with that dog

I would install a horn first, instead of turn signals ---> 1 blast = left & 2 blasts = right turn (3 honks = turn on the coffee maker or get me a beer)

Brett - You've gotten smaller, since I last saw you -- Austin Power & Mini-Me the MAN !!

--------------------------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135888 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=136600&page=3
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,653 Posts
I have two Australian Shepherds (dogs). They are very smart, and one is smarter than the other. The smart one is more devoted to me and what I'm doing, Gabe the smart one thinks when I'm mowing, he wants to guide me where to mow. When I'm mowing, he runs in front of the tractor several feet to make sure that I'm mowing the yard correctly, like I should turn to the right or left when I come to the edge of the yard. He will do this the entire time...all seven acres.
Sounds like the other one is smarter to me, he's figured out that he doesn't have to chase you in circles for 7 acres, and you'll still feed him. :ROF

Aussie shepherds have OCD bred into them in a big way; sounds like he (Gabe) got a double dose. I'll bet he'd try herding a fence post if it swayed in the wind.

As far as the remote start goes, if you're one to worry that a terrorist will try to blow you up, they come in pretty handy.

·
Premium Member
8,308 Posts
LLigetfa, One of my other added features I've thought about...a remote start system. I've searched the internet trying to come up with the schematics, but no luck. I own a 2009 Buick with the remote start, which I've never used, and don't know if it really works. But, that is a feature without an honest good benefit.
Remote starter on a tractor might not have much benefit, but it sure does have a benefit in a car on a cold winter morning. If you leave the heater and defrost controls on when you shut the car off at night, then you remote start it about 10 minutes before you leave the nice warm house the next morning and when you get in the car it's already warm and cozy inside.

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Remote starter on a tractor might not have much benefit, but it sure does have a benefit in a car on a cold winter morning. If you leave the heater and defrost controls on when you shut the car off at night, then you remote start it about 10 minutes before you leave the nice warm house the next morning and when you get in the car it's already warm and cozy inside.
Nouveau, just kidding the group about a remote starter for the JD 345. You are right on about the benefit for such. Before I would "seriously" consider a remote mechanism, I would first install a satellite dish to the hood so I could watch TV while mowing.
Come to think about that, that's not a bad feature.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts