My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a question about a weed wacker this time and not my L110 (which still doesn't run=/). I got this Weed eater (25cc I think) "Featherlite" weedwacker from sears for like 75 bucks. I have been using it for the past few years with hesitance (along with my blower). The issue that I am having is that it vibrates liek MAD. I am a small person and all, but this weed wacker literally makes my whole arm numb (along with the craftsman blower), but I have no idea what it is. I do not see other people on the internet with the same issue and was wondering if I am doing something wrong causing it to vibrate so much. If anyone can help me that would be nice. By the way, the oil + gas mix that I am using is pretty old, but I am pretty sure the vibration is the same as it was when I got it (same gas I am using too!). The engine runs perfectly fine so I do not really think its the gas mix.
Thanks

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Respool the cutter head with new line. May have been "unbalanced" from the factory or when they run low on line they can throw off balance. Try to keep fresh fuel/oil mix running through that unit or any other by using a fuel stabilizer. It will help down the road.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Anything made by weedeater will be horrid. I've known people who got years of reliable service out of their's and like them just fine. They don't seem to mind there cheapness. The main problem with weedeater brand trimmers is there is no clutch so the operator absorbs driveline lash. My neighbor had craftsman blower(weedeater manufacturered) the headbolts literally vibrated loose. He bought another craftsman. Go figure. I personally like redmax or shindiawa trimmers. I purchased a 20cc redmax trimmer for my parents. It weighs 8lbs and cost $245 with tax. For the average homeowner a basic echo trimmer or blower will also be just about perfect. Around $200.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well today I mowed my lawn.... [1 acre with push mower = epic fail, L110 not starting] and tried to use some insulation foam to see if it would help and it didn't. I saw this Spanish guy last night weedwacking a huge amount of area very easily. I checked it out and he had a redmax which is what you are reccomending. I called my local redmax deler earlier today [around noon] and they have their low end on sale for $230. Will that one vibrate like mad? Or will it be okay. I was going to get it today but wanted to A) try the foam B) get a response around here if I coulf fix it (echoman, tried yoru ideas didn't do anything) C) the store closed before I could get there. Anyway, the guy didn't tell me much about the Redmax they have and I didn't really ask, but are they all good. I would expect something for over 200 good quality.
Thanks

·
Registered
972 Posts
Well today I mowed my lawn.... [1 acre with push mower = epic fail, L110 not starting] and tried to use some insulation foam to see if it would help and it didn't. I saw this Spanish guy last night weedwacking a huge amount of area very easily. I checked it out and he had a redmax which is what you are reccomending. I called my local redmax deler earlier today [around noon] and they have their low end on sale for $230. Will that one vibrate like mad? Or will it be okay. I was going to get it today but wanted to A) try the foam B) get a response around here if I coulf fix it (echoman, tried yoru ideas didn't do anything) C) the store closed before I could get there. Anyway, the guy didn't tell me much about the Redmax they have and I didn't really ask, but are they all good. I would expect something for over 200 good quality.
Thanks

If your worried about vibration go in and ask to test one out, spend 5-10 minutes running one. Sounds like a good price. I'd go for a straight shaft trimmer, get the lightest model. You can hold a straight shaft vertically and edge with it. You'll also be able to run at least .095 line. Get some good quality line, I use husquvarna line, but generally the dealer can recommend something good. What I always found annoying about cheap weadeaters was the clockwise head rotation. Which when using right handed pushes the trimmer towards your body.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your worried about vibration go in and ask to test one out, spend 5-10 minutes running one. Sounds like a good price. I'd go for a straight shaft trimmer, get the lightest model. You can hold a straight shaft vertically and edge with it. You'll also be able to run at least .095 line. Get some good quality line, I use husquvarna line, but generally the dealer can recommend something good. What I always found annoying about cheap weadeaters was the clockwise head rotation. Which when using right handed pushes the trimmer towards your body.
Do you think they will let me try it out? Or maybe even return it if i don't like it.
Thanks
Also, can you feel a vibration on your redmax?

·
Registered
972 Posts
You'll feel vibration on any trimmer. But the resonance of the vibration will be considerably less annoying on a quality trimmer. Here is another fundamental difference. A professional trimmer will have a fully counterweighted crank shaft. You'll also find a good trimmer works great at low-medium speeds. I run my shindiawa just about 3-4k rpms. This reduces fuel consumption, wear and tear, and best of all debris tossage.

·
Registered
972 Posts
They should have a demo machine you can try out. I'm not 100% sure they will. Commercial customers demo lots of equipment. You could try tool rental companies in your area if you can't find someone to loan you one. Or offer that lawn service guy $10 but let you try his trimmer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts