My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 284 Posts

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious what your favorite pocket knife that you carry around is. I have this sweet little CRKT Ripple with the "Pocket worn" finish that I bought at WalMart a year or so ago when they were clearing them out. It is a Ken Onion design knife, has ball bearings on the pivot, and the blade is super tough. I have cut everything from cardboard to 18 gauge wire with it and have little or no wear on the blade. I haven't sharpened it in a year, but it will need it soon.

http://www.crkt.com/K415KXP

I bought it for $25 on clearance, it retails at $59, and I think Lowes sells them for about $35 or $40

this is my second favorite- Boker Mini Magnum Tanto Automatic open

Mine is really beat up, but works fine after 6 years of heavy abuse.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Count me in as an Old Timer kind of guy. (Walking right into a fire pit with that line, I know.)

I've been carrying a three blade folder for well over 20 years now. Don't leave home without it.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Count me in as an Old Timer kind of guy. (Walking right into a fire pit with that line, I know.)

I've been carrying a three blade folder for well over 20 years now. Don't leave home without it.
My dad always carried a knife like that. Or a little knife with nail file on his keys. I bought him a tiny little toothpick lock back for Christmas a few years back.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,097 Posts
Case is my personal favorite PK, and the Trapper is my carry.

Most days I also carry a sheathed Leatherman.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Yeah Turk, that is a nice looking knife. I like the more refined finish on it.

Whenever I'm doing any remodeling or repair work, I carry a similar model made by Sheffield.

I'm the same way; I cut and do what I need done and just put a new blade in. It's handy for everything but especially so in electrical and plumbing work. Two thumbs up from me. :thThumbsU:thThumbsU

http://www.officesupply.com/office-supplies/general-supplies/scissors-rulers-paper-trimmers/utility-knives-cutters/great-neck-sheffield-folding-lockback-knife-utility-blade-blue/p287175.html?ref=pla&cid=ad-pla-non-brand&adpos=1o1&creative=54124602633&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQiAlISlBRDHpIekkMGiiskBEiQAh-0KQM0U8LEnIcCUZ8hCiJ7UjBJfDE_URf9WCDRKWLi7-BYaAk9Y8P8HAQ

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
I carried a Old Timer like DJ's formany years until I lost it somehow. Now I been carrying a Case Stockman for about 12 years. 1419887738228.jpg

·
requires supervision
658 Posts
I'm a bit of a knife freak. I have a lot of knives. Not just 30 or 40.
But lots. :hide: But this is what's always in my pocket.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,251 Posts
I used to carry an old Schrade two blade knife (in a black leather sheave) that was my Dad's. I don't carry it any more for fear of loosing it, sentimental value. It does get put into service from time to time when we go camping, or out on the boat.

My wife just bought me a Gerber multi tool, kind of small but easy to carry in a front pocket, so that's what I'm carrying now. If I know I may need a knife for odd jobs or to help a friend with his odd jobs, I carry a simple Stanley Utility Knife, just can't beat the simple design. :fing32:

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,652 Posts
A topic near and dear to my heart, or more precisely, my pocket. Some of you guided me a couple weeks ago when I lost one of my treasures.

Anyway, I always carry this Kershaw Good Buddy in my pocket bottom. They haven't made this model in quite a few years. I've carried one daily for about 30 years, including back before they were banned on flights. This one has been around the world several times:

But, to be honest, it is a little too small for several tasks I apply a knife too, so I've had this Leatherman clipped to my pocket whenever I am in the woods (which is a couple hours every day).

And, a recent addition to my collection (which is probably about a dozen, not a fanatic, just a "user") is this Kershaw Shuffle which gets clipped inside a pocket when it seems likely I'll be pressed into mall, or a church, or a movie theater, or where-ever else my wife might send or drag me.

The most observant among you might notice that along with a blade, there is a bottle opener on each of them. Kind of a prerequisite for my EDC.

Attachments

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
Current carry unit is a Kershaw that's a spring assist Ken Onion design. I try to aim for something that's somewhat middle of the road (not a $5 special and not something super expensive) for a daily carry as it gets used/abused quite a bit. There's a few others that get carried on special occasions.

Anybody carry one that requires a permit?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I carry a knife similar to yours except it has serrated teeth. Two times, I've had to cut seat belts to remove people from burning cars, one of them was an infant stuck in a car seat, and the claw-style blade zipped right through in one pull. I actually carry two these days, on the beltline and one around my neck on a cord.

·
Experienced Operator
181 Posts
This Sheffield is my go to knife for most tasks. Also carry a multi tool that my grandfather gave me everywhere. :)

Attachments

·
requires supervision
658 Posts
a Kershaw that's a spring assist Ken Onion design.
That's a nice knife. I have the same in the tanto version.
It's in my backpack as a spare. I think it's called a Blur?

Attachments

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I used to have one like that- have it away for fear I'd get arrested for carrying it in Massachusetts even though the blade length was short... But it wasn't that useful for me.

Keep the thread going all! My knifes are my tools! I'll lay them all out sometime- I have the bear grills knife in sheath with whistle, sharpener, fire starter for when I camp and I have a gerber hatchet with knife in handle as well. But I usually have a couple other knifes with me when I camp- and a saw. Can't be too prepared!

1 - 20 of 284 Posts