My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upstate members may have more info, but wanted to post this.

Please be careful out there working the fields.:praying:

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090513/NEWS90/90513011/-1/NEWS

Upstate NY man struck, killed by own tractor

var isoPubDate = 'May 13, 2009' Posted: May 13, 2009 - 7:10 AM
CAMERON (AP) -- Police say a 62-year-old man has been killed in a tractor accident on an upstate New York farm.
Steuben County sheriff's deputies say Clifford Kent was standing beside the tractor while starting it late Tuesday afternoon in a field in the town of Cameron, in the Southern Tier 68 miles south of Rochester.
Deputies say the tractor was in gear and the vehicle and the discs it was towing struck him.
The tractor continued through the field and crashed into a wooded area near Kent's home.
A witness turned off the tractor and called 911.
Kent was pronounced dead at the scene. His death has been ruled accidental.

My prayers go out to his family and friends.:praying:

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Sad thing to hear.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Yet more, unfortunate, proof in the argument as to why to never unhook the lock out switches on a tractor. They are there for a reason.

Of course, this machine may have been old enough to not have had them to begin with.

Either way, still sad.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Sorry to hear, We had a local man (80yrs old) that was killed very simular. He put a new muffler on his farmall, he started the tractor standing besides it. He tried too push the clutch in by hand, but the rear tire ran over him. The ole' fellar lived for about 2 weeks, before his kydneys gave out.

·
Member #495
3,827 Posts
I hate to see these incidents. Get all excited for a year of mowing and yard work and then hear about these poor fellas. Its so true that you have to be careful. I once again had to yell, and I yelled, at the two little girls next door. They think its fun to run in front of me while cutting my lawn. I tell my daughter not to play with them, 6 years old or not, they 'aint to bright.

·
Registered
821 Posts
As you Ford owners know, Ford was one of the few tractors that helped prevent things like this from happening with their starter button lock out. My 55 600 wont start without putting it in neutral. I still use the original starter button and would never think of bypassing it! PJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts