My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
First time posting here and Ive been trying to figure a few things out.
If there is a difference between the Farmall MD and the TD-6 gas over diesel motors.
I have a TD-6 motor and a Farmall super M with a cracked block. Looking to swap the two and make a "basterdized" MD.
If anyone has any idea on this or what I would need or just opinions would help.

Mitch R

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
You can check your block casting numbers, but as far as I know they are the same engines. When you find out for sure let me know! :fing32:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mitch, The engines are the same for the MD and TD-6. However, thjey are not compatable for installing in a Gas model "M". You're looking at two completely different animals. First of all, the MD is a longer tractor from bell housing forward. The engine and tool mounting rails of the MD are longer, thus the hood is longer also, In addition the MD requires a small gasolene tank for starting, as the Diesel engine starts on gasoline then you switch it over to diesel when the engine warms up. You will also have to convert the electrical starting system to 12 volt as an MD will not start on a 6 volt system, and the starters are 12 volt, and not compatable with the "M". By the time you finish doing everything you need to convert your "M" to and "MD", you may as well have bought a rebuilt "M" engine or a good engine and rebuild it yourself. I personally wouldnt touch such a conversion project with a ten foot pole. Additionally, I'm not even sure the engine will match up to the bell housing. The bolt patern may be totally different.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts