My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a Farmall Super M seems to leak gas out of the very bottom piece/nipple looking part of the carburetor, doesnt seem to be a plug when you look up in the hole, there are plugs farther to the side of it, dont know, I will try to send a picture. Also, what is the recommended tire pressure for the front tires, it doesnt say on the tire or the tube/box ? Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Would think 28 to 32 psi. Any tire store that sells AG tires and mounts them could tell you for sure. Its been a long time since I have had to deal with a tractor tire of that size.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
The float in the carb needs some adjustment. Or, it could be the needle valve needs cleaned, or replaced. That hole there is there to prevent gas from contaminating the oil bath breather, or if the tank is full enough, getting into the engine.

Remove the bowl from the carb., leaving the carb on the tractor. Manual shows the float setting to be 1-5/16" from the top of the float, to the bottom of the upper part of the carb, where the bowl attaches, minus the gasket. Just be careful when separating the bowl from the upper part, and the gasket should come off with it. You'll just have to measure and see,and if that doesn't shut the fuel flow off, set it a bit deeper in the bowl, but not much. 99% of the time, the gasket can be re-used, with no leaks. Also be very careful when removing the bowl, you don't bend/distort the float itself. There isn't much room on either side, between the bowl, and float itself.

While the bowl is off, may as well slide the pin out, holding the float, and check the needle valve for damage, or a bit of something that may be in there, keeping it from sealing off. You can also remove the seat by threading it out, and check for damage.

If you've had the tractor for awhile, and it just started dripping from the drip hole, there is more than likely apiece of debris, rust/dirt keeping the needle from seating properly, and letting fuel by.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thanks DJ54. I will have to check, If I ruin the gasket I guess I can make one. Where the best place to get carb parts if needed ?

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Case/IH still handles parts for them. If you need a complete kit, there are many aftermarket ones out there. The last kit I bought was for my Super C, probably 25 years ago and was made by Borg-Warner. I do know at that time, I had a neighbor who also had a Super C,and got his kit through Case/IH, and cost him around $75. I got mine at Tractor Supply, back when they were a lot more tractor oriented, and I got my kit for like $15.00. The only thing I used out of the kit was the main jet, because the PO ran it in too tight, and smooshed the end. Still running, and using it to this day.

Here is a link to the Case/IH online parts store,and already set to the Super M page, and drilled down to the exploded view of the carb. https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr56557ar280816bi4407686-15 If you need a specific part, click on said part, and it will pop up in another window, with a description, and part number. You can copy and paste the part number to a good search engine, and shop until you drop.

Steiner Tractor Parts seems to be popular with a lot of owners of older tractors, looking for parts. I even ordered some parts off of them last Fall for my 140, but never got to that project,and haven't even opened the box yet. So, can't comment on quality of the parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts