My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1953 Farmall Super C that is leaking oil above the front of the oil pan. I don't believe it is the oil pan as this tractor was just in the shop and they replaced that gasket. In fact, they did an extensive engine overhaul and this is still leaking--the original reason it was taken to the shop. (Going to address that with the guy on Monday.) Is there another gasket in that space between the engine and front end? See pictures attached. Thanks for any info or thoughts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,100 Posts
There are 2 felt pieces that fit on the ends of the support assy. ( cast aluminum piece that fits the gap between crankshaft and oil pan. Middle bolt of the oil pan threads into) , and the timing cover gasket. But, oil appears to be coming from higher up, and more on center.

Without seeing pictures from up top, I'd suggest getting a good bright flashlight, or trouble light, and look behind the crankshaft pulley, and look for oil. There is a seal in the timing cover, that the shoulder of the crankshaft pulley rides in. Just taking a wild guess, I'd say the new seal was installed, but those crankshaft pulleys get a slight groove worn in them, from thousands of hours of run time. If worn enough, it will still leak with a new seal installed. No need to buy a new, or different pulley with less wear. They do make a timing cover seal kit with a wear sleeve, that fits on the shoulder of the crankshaft pulley. Although there are some less expensive, here is a link showing one, so you have an idea what I'm talking about. 378193R91 Front Crankshaft Seal Fits Case IH 130 140 230 240 330 240 Fits Cub Lo 378193R91 Fits Case IH, IHC, International Harvester - Free Shipping Here's one for like $12 less, but doesn't have a picture. All are aftermarket parts, and probably come from the same main supplier across the pond. Front Crankshaft Seal with Wear Sleeve fits International Cub Lo-Boy 340 Cub 230 100 330 130 Super C 240 140 200 378193R91

That's more than likely where the original oil leak was anyway. I've used 2 of those seal kits in the last 3 years on my new to me 130, and 140 Farmalls, that also use the C-123 engine used in the Super C. It's just the nature of the beast, but did solve the oil leak problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are 2 felt pieces that fit on the ends of the support assy. ( cast aluminum piece that fits the gap between crankshaft and oil pan. Middle bolt of the oil pan threads into) , and the timing cover gasket. But, oil appears to be coming from higher up, and more on center.

Without seeing pictures from up top, I'd suggest getting a good bright flashlight, or trouble light, and look behind the crankshaft pulley, and look for oil. There is a seal in the timing cover, that the shoulder of the crankshaft pulley rides in. Just taking a wild guess, I'd say the new seal was installed, but those crankshaft pulleys get a slight groove worn in them, from thousands of hours of run time. If worn enough, it will still leak with a new seal installed. No need to buy a new, or different pulley with less wear. They do make a timing cover seal kit with a wear sleeve, that fits on the shoulder of the crankshaft pulley. Although there are some less expensive, here is a link showing one, so you have an idea what I'm talking about. 378193R91 Front Crankshaft Seal Fits Case IH 130 140 230 240 330 240 Fits Cub Lo 378193R91 Fits Case IH, IHC, International Harvester - Free Shipping Here's one for like $12 less, but doesn't have a picture. All are aftermarket parts, and probably come from the same main supplier across the pond. Front Crankshaft Seal with Wear Sleeve fits International Cub Lo-Boy 340 Cub 230 100 330 130 Super C 240 140 200 378193R91

That's more than likely where the original oil leak was anyway. I've used 2 of those seal kits in the last 3 years on my new to me 130, and 140 Farmalls, that also use the C-123 engine used in the Super C. It's just the nature of the beast, but did solve the oil leak problem.
Thank you so much for the reply and info. I looked at the pulley and there does appear to be some oil. I'm going to talk to the mechanic tomorrow to see what seals were replaced and discuss this potential fix. I will post an update as things progress. Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE: It appears the leak is coming from the fan belt pulley. The mechanic thinks a bad seal in there. They may have overfilled the oil in that pulley also during the repair. Will post a final update when I get the tractor back.

·
Premium Member
3,100 Posts
If the mechanic is not familiar with filling those, you turn it 90º to the left side (easier to fill from that side) until oil comes out. Then turn the hole straight down, and let excess oil drain out. Better to put a few shop rags underneath to catch it. Let it drain until it stops coming out, turn back to the horizontal position, and replace the screw. Sounds strange, but that per the operators manual.

If you don't have an Op. manual, might be worth investing in one. You can find original copies, and reprints on ebay pretty reasonable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts