My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Lady next to me sold me an 8n year ago for 100 bucks with a brush hog and blade. Now she has an old IH BIG Cub from what i remember it beeing, and it was yellow and white, 4 cylinder? has a nice fininsh mower on it, and a front blade. I think there is weights for it too. Its been sitting, same old story it ran good when it was parked 10 years ago. It's been in the gearage and is in GREAT condition, and hasn't ran since. Im sure i can get it to run, but im unfamiliar with them. what are some weaknessess i should look for? Also i think the transmissions are vary weak if i remember right. Also the engines are dogs for power, but correct me if im wrong. It has been a while. Im looking to make some money on it, any idea what its worth or what i should spend? Thanks a ton, K-Man. :thanku:

·
Super Moderator
16,677 Posts
IH Cubs & Farmall cubs had the same trans that was later used in the IH Cub Cadet garden tractor Line:thThumbsU

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
IH Cubs & Farmall cubs had the same trans that was later used in the IH Cub Cadet garden tractor Line:thThumbsU
Also the Farmall A (Same as Farmall cub/ IH Cub)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
They A doesn't have the same tranny as a cub. The A's is a liitle bit bigger and has 4 forward gears.

The Famall/IH cubs are great for mowing, farmaing and a lot of other chores too. If you look hard enough you can probably find almost any kind of attachment you want. The trannys are pretty strong and bulletproof. The cub cadet used the same trannys too. The engine is also stronger than you might think. Even though they don't have a ton of horse power they do have a lot of torque and low gearing. II have been suprised a few times at how much my cub can pull. These tractors where built and intended to be a tractor for a small farm originally.

One weak point you should look for is to see if the engine block has craked and welded where the block and front bolster. This is common on a lot of cubs but if the repair is good you don't need to worry to much about it. Also the tranny will most likely be noisy in some or all of the gears but it's not a problem since most cubs have noisy trannys. If there isn't any noise in any of there gears then that means the cub most likely has had an easy life and it has been cared for.

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
Thats what I thought too! But, after looking again at my uncle's Super A, they are not the same. IH Cub
/Cadets were great and helped get this country moving foward. :fing32::thanku:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back to my original question hhaha whats it worth?
Thanks for all the input

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
With out seeing it its hard to tell. Also do you remember if is an actually cub or is it a loboy like the 154. Without out knowing exactly what condition it is in I would have to say at the most around 1000 non running and maybe 1500-2000 running. The price can also depend on what tractors like it regualry sell for in your area too.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks. Its old and yellow its been a while. I think ill get it for a few hundred. Ill get some pictures for you all.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Here is a pic of where these cubs break that farmerall was talking about. If you can get it for a couple hundred I'd be all over that.

Attachments

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I hate being wrong...:dunno::banghead3

·
Registered
443 Posts
It sound like a LoBoy.. In good condition they go from $1600- 2500 or more depending on your part of the country.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts