My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Greetings !
I need some more info, what are you trying to accomplish ?
Has the engine ever been apart ?
Has it been on a diet of non detergent oil all its life ?
Does it use oil ?
Is it a good sound engine ?
Please let me know this info, then I may be able to help you.
Thank you !
Have a great day !
Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know crap about the tractor. I just picked it up last Saturday and the owner knew nearly nothing about it. Aparently he just bought it for a hay ride and then found something better.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would use the tractor for a while to see what kind of shape the engine is in, see if it uses oil, or if it develops any leaks.
If all is in good shape Amsoil should work great in it, and it certainly will clean and dissolve deposits in the engine.
Another thing to consider is Amsoil engine flush, I use Amsoil engine flush whenever switching over an engine that has had a diet of dino oil all its life.
The engine flush is added to a previously warmed up engine when changing oil and allowed to circulate at idle or just above idle for 15 to 20 minutes, this helps to break up the deposits formed by the dino oil and removes them as the old oil and filter is drained.
Amsoil engine flush preps the engine for synthetic oil, and helps prevent the new filter from being overwhelmed as the synthetic oil finishes the cleaning process.
Here is a link to Amsoil engine flush if you wish to research further :
http://www.amsoil.com/a/engine-flush-cleaners-degreasers?zo=531421
Hope this helps !
Have a great day !
Don

·
IH addict!
144 Posts
Supposed to use SAE 30, non-detergent. Thats what I run in my H. Save your money, and just use what its supposed to.

·
Registered
228 Posts
switching to synthetics after a motor has ran conventional oil its whole life can cause oil leaks because it gets rid of all the build up(so Ive heard)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I've seen MANY old farm tractor engines ruined by just using detergent oil.If an engine has been run on non detergent,STICK WITH IT!I wouldn't take a chance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts