My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a farmall super M. the ammeter never reads past zero unless I turn lights on then it goes about one line to the left ( discharge / negative ) it has a new regulator and the generator was just rebuilt. I have done these different tests on a flow chart but dont know why it still reads zero. I dont know if it is charging or not I guess. Any ideas ? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
It should show some amount of charging. I'll assume you polarized the regulator. You might want to try testing the regulator with a multi-meter, to make sure it is putting out voltage. If it is, then check wiring back to the amp gauge. If it isn't, depending on where you got the regulator, and buddy of mine, and I both got a regulator at TSC more than several years ago, and quit working shortly after installing. We both found that the rivet that fastens the little ground strap to the base, under the cover was loose. He took his off, and took a punch and snugged it up, and it started working again. I on the other hand, took a set of spread jaw Vise-Grips for welding, and clamped it tighter in increments. The rivet is aluminum, and the Vise- Grips are a larger set, so it tightened it up pretty easy. Mine also started working again, and has ever since.

It's a shame a company hasn't come up with a solid state regulator, they would make millions selling them. Not saying that is your problem, just something to check, if you overlooked it.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Take the cover off, and check for a loose rivet, where the ground strap connects to the base.Could be loose like ours was.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Is that a 6v positive ground system?
Reason I ask my old Farmall super C was a 6v pos ground system. I converted it to 8v then finally went to 12v neg ground with a Delco alternator and never looked back. That was 5 years ago and I work the old tractor quite often pulling a big tandem offset disc.

Have you tried you tube for info on how to bypass the regulator? (be sure you do it correctly the first time)

Do you have a DC voltmeter?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered a new regulator waiting for it to come in the mail from yesterdays tractor, hopefully this one works right

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Regulator came yesterday installed it and it seems to work. charging at about 5-6 amps. test battery at 6.4 volt, start it up and set throttle fairly high it slowly climbed from 6.4 to about 6.6 - 6.7 before I quit. Does these numbers seem about right ?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Regulator came yesterday installed it and it seems to work. charging at about 5-6 amps. test battery at 6.4 volt, start it up and set throttle fairly high it slowly climbed from 6.4 to about 6.6 - 6.7 before I quit. Does these numbers seem about right ?
Yes

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Yup. Sounds just about right.
If it ever gives you to much trouble and your already using words sailors haven't thought of, change out to a single wire alternator set up.

My Super M already had a 12 volt generator conversion done to it and I was having troubles with the gauges show it charging but barely. If I ran it for long hours it would charge enough to start it, but the minute I turned on the lights... I was dead in the water shortly.

I looked at those $99 - $110 special deals on eBay and settled on a system from Brillman, which is a tad more but worth every penny in my mind.
Brillman's has a super nice metal bracket assembly that looks professionally made, not like some beginner welder in a High School Shop Class that is usually seen. It comes with a Delco style alternator, mounting hardware (except for the two generator bracket bolts, which are re-used) and a new internally resisted 12 volt coil. Everything fits like a glove on my Super M and it works!!!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Yup. Sounds just about right.
If it ever gives you to much trouble and your already using words sailors haven't thought of, change out to a single wire alternator set up.

My Super M already had a 12 volt generator conversion done to it and I was having troubles with the gauges show it charging but barely. If I ran it for long hours it would charge enough to start it, but the minute I turned on the lights... I was dead in the water shortly.

I looked at those $99 - $110 special deals on eBay and settled on a system from Brillman, which is a tad more but worth every penny in my mind.
Brillman's has a super nice metal bracket assembly that looks professionally made, not like some beginner welder in a High School Shop Class that is usually seen. It comes with a Delco style alternator, mounting hardware (except for the two generator bracket bolts, which are re-used) and a new internally resisted 12 volt coil. Everything fits like a glove on my Super M and it works!!!
I did the same convert that Poppa Dave mentions on my old Super C few years ago and never looked back. I fought the 6 volt pos ground system for few years, then 8v bat's which gave a faster crank start. Spent about $200 including a 12v battery that fit the bat box, changed the bulbs in the lights to 12v and all good to go. Just leave the 6v starter, and don't crank over 5-10 sec's without a rest and the 6 volt starter will last long time on 12v. I knew I was going to keep the rig for myself and use it often mowing and disking.:tango_face_wink:

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Amen Forest.
The same thing is going to happen to my Grandfathers Super C when I start restoring it.
Those 1-wire Alternators sure do clean up a mess of wiring and they work!!!
I have Granddads old "H" that's going to stay original, but my daily use machines that need extra lighting at night on the hay baler or etc. are sure going to get an up grade.
I'm even looking at installing weather proof power outlets to plug a cell phone charger into on a couple.
Mind you, I'm not cutting funky holes in anything, or tossing the old genny's to the curb. I'm saving and tagging all of that stuff to save it, in case I ever decide to go back or the new owner wants to convert them back when I'm pushing up flowers.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Amen Forest.
The same thing is going to happen to my Grandfathers Super C when I start restoring it.
Those 1-wire Alternators sure do clean up a mess of wiring and they work!!!
I have Granddads old "H" that's going to stay original, but my daily use machines that need extra lighting at night on the hay baler or etc. are sure going to get an up grade.
I'm even looking at installing weather proof power outlets to plug a cell phone charger into on a couple.
Mind you, I'm not cutting funky holes in anything, or tossing the old genny's to the curb. I'm saving and tagging all of that stuff to save it, in case I ever decide to go back or the new owner wants to convert them back when I'm pushing up flowers.
After i bought my one wire Delco alternator in the conversion kit for the Super C and later I noticed on flea bay that for around $15 they have a one wire convert kit for the Delco alternators that have the internal regulator. I've got some good Delco alternators that I have re-built and tested in my spare time as spares for some of my old vec's, so next time I'm going to try the alternator one wire convert kit. Yes, the one wire ALTERNATOR eliminates having to use old existing brittle insulation electrical wiring. I had to replace some (most) of the electrical wiring on the old Super C due to it falling apart when I went to moving and worrying the wiring. I also found a reasonably priced gauge kit that looks OEM. Oil pressure, ammeter, temperature gauge. Installing the NEW in dash ammeter is where I got into having to replace existing wiring at the ign switch.
The existing old wires insulation would just fall apart when moved back deep into the small gauge dash box and no extra slack in the wiring.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Oh man. You are not kidding about the lack of extra slack in the old wiring harness.

A friend of mine (yeah I have a few - LOL) showed me a neat trick on the regular Delco 10SI jobs that use that plug in wire self exciting thingy-ma-bob today.
He split the wire that should have had a resistor or light in it and attached the two ends to an oil pressure switch that he installed in an oil line somewhere convenient. When the engine shuts off, the circuit opens and no battery drain. No surprises to find out that the resistor went bad either.

I didn't get any hours on a tractor today darn it. I spent the day upside down doing the electrical wiring and plumbing for a pump house. Oh Joy!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts