My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall I was mowing with my C and it developed a clanking noise in the transmission. It was there in first gear and reverse. Parked the tractor fearing a major problem. Tried again later and didn’t hear it in second gear but was there in reverse (transmission was cold this time).
Last week I drained the gear lube and a 3/8 x 1” fine thread bolt came out through the drain hole. Also very fine metal grindings came out that collected on my magnet, not surprised by this due to the tractors age, they were like a paste on my magnet. Fished the magnet around inside through the drain hole and didn’t find anything else.
Will start to take the top of the transmission off next week.
Does anyone have an idea where this bolt came from and what I can expect that may have failed in there? Hoping it was only this bolt flying around in there making the noise and it is a simple repair once I get it opened up.
Any tips on disassembly of the transmission top? I have watched a U Tube video on this.
Note the spherical concave depression in the bolt head.

image.jpg

Thanks
Bill J

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just a guess could it be a mounting bolt for the pinion gear ? Other thought is the clutch wet or dry if wet clutch mounting bolt for clutch assembly?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a guess could it be a mounting bolt for the pinion gear ? Other thought is the clutch wet or dry if wet clutch mounting bolt for clutch assembly?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Took the transmission top cover off and found that the bolt holds a round steel plate that secures the bull gear to the axle shaft on the right side. There are two bolts through the plate and the other one was loose also. Reinstalled the bolt and also found that the two bolts on the left axle were loose also. Upon further observation I found that the gear teeth on the aluminum oil slinger gear were all broken off or stripped.
Now comes the task of splitting apart the transmission from the engine end with the question of how much more of the transmission and differential needs to be disassembled to replace the oil slinger gear?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts