My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally started the C restoration. Just in diasssembly right now. There is no longer a data plate, and has (according to owner) was not there when he bought it in the early 60's. But, I did manage to clean enough crud from the motor to see the s/n 28868. and the date codes are R's and S's so I'm thinking its a 1950. Luckily the ballpark on these is only a few years. Just wondering if any of the experts here can confirm or deny my estimation as to the year. Hopefully the engine s/n helps. Thanks Gang.

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
All right our first restore job on the farmall forum. :congrats: Keep us posted. :fing02:

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Hi Carm, your C is a 49, the 6246th of the year, in a 25000 C year, so teat figures to the first 1/4 of the year. :fing02:

That's a good looking tractor, you have a good place to start from. :Orange_tr

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
parts man said:
Hi Carm, your C is a 49, the 6246th of the year, in a 25000 C year, so teat figures to the first 1/4 of the year. :fing02:

That's a good looking tractor, you have a good place to start from. :Orange_tr
Ok, how far off from the tractor is the engine serial number? there are some S castings there.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Inspiration

Thanks for the inspiration Carm! Looking good. I get to start on my M when the snow stops flying here. I'll be asking a lot of questions when I get started.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
looks like you got a good start on it carm keep us posted on your progress. and take lots of pics for us. this also helps when it comes time to putting everything back together especially if the project stretches over many months or even a few years like some of my projects do.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a boat load of pics, but they are just for my crappy memory. I will post them as i get interesting ones!

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Carm said:
Ok, how far off from the tractor is the engine serial number? there are some S castings there.
Carm, on a "non-super" C the engine and chassis number should be close (been the same in my experience), and the S code would fit, as that is for 49. We have a pair of consecutive 1940 A's that were cast on April 9/40, and assembled april 13 or 14 of 1940, the castings would hardly have cooled off! :fing20:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have some parts that are ready to prime and put aside until ready for paint. I decided to relocate the C to a different section of the barn nad spent a bunch of time cleaning and installing more lights. I was getting tired of falling over stuff in the dim light. So, the C is still proceeding slowly. The MTD mower deck pulley bearing crapped out, so that also put the C on a temporary hold.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I understand completely, life tends to get in the way of the fun stuff!! We've got a W4 we've been "working" on for about 4 years now, got about 30-40 hours in on it!

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
parts man said:
I understand completely, life tends to get in the way of the fun stuff!! We've got a W4 we've been "working" on for about 4 years now, got about 30-40 hours in on it!
Speaking of which how it coming?

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Jody, haven't touched it since last fall! :fing20: Hope to bring it out of the shop in a short time to have some patches migged into the fenders. I'll take some more pictures when we start making some headway. Until then, any thread about it would be dull as dishwater. :00000060:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts