My Tractor Forum banner

Farmall A?

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  fishcatchinman 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I bought a Farmall tractor a few months back and am wondering if it is an A - I can't find the serial number under the seat, is it the one by the gear stick I have pictured below?

We have finally got it running!

How is the top of the magneto meant to be mounted?

Thanks for your time!
Samuel

See less See more
Reactions: grnspot110
#2 ·
Yes, it is an A. In the picture showing the magneto, above the throttle control rod that connects to the governor, you can see a flat boss approx. 2" long. You'll need to remove the paint down to bare metal. 3 of my tractors from that era have the serial number stamped there, that match the serial number stamped on the tag.
In other posts on here, and a couple other Farmall forums disagree that theirs don't match, but many more than don't say theirs does too. I suspect the one's that don't, have had the engine block replaced for some reason.

Just curious why you removed the magneto..?? There is a procedure to go theough to time it properly. If you have at least an I&T manual, it will show the procedure. If you don't have one, I'd suggest, at least getting the I&T manual. Not the best, but covers basic repairs,and tune-up specs. Ebay would probably be the least expensive place to find one.

#4 ·
Just curious why you removed the magneto..?? There is a procedure to go theough to time it properly. If you have at least an I&T manual, it will show the procedure. If you don't have one, I'd suggest, at least getting the I&T manual. Not the best, but covers basic repairs,and tune-up specs. Ebay would probably be the least expensive place to find one.
The picture of the tractor is the condition it was in when I bought it - It came with two magnetos (both not installed) - Non runner - A project they had started but not finished and wanted it gone.

#6 ·
I just got the pre-cleaner, grille and bonnet back from the painter last night- Here are a couple pics - Hope to post some more pics when it is all back together again!

Reactions: DJ54 and grnspot110
#7 ·
An update!

Reactions: Sevenhills1952
#8 ·
Looks great..!! If you are going to utilize the starter, don't cheap out with automotive sized 4 ga. battery cables, or you'll have what many call a lazy starter, and will turn over slow. Go with nothing less than 1/0 cables, I get the 2/0 cables for the price difference. You'l think it has a 12V system on it. I've been buying mine here:Battery Cables - Custom Made Battery Cables for 5-6 years, and so far, can't beat their price. They are very nice marine grade cables, which are very flexible, HD ends, and heat shrink tubing at the connectors. Last I got was like less than $4 priority shipping via USPS, and had them within 3 days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.