My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I bought a Farmall tractor a few months back and am wondering if it is an A - I can't find the serial number under the seat, is it the one by the gear stick I have pictured below?

We have finally got it running!

How is the top of the magneto meant to be mounted?

Thanks for your time!
Samuel

Reactions: grnspot110

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Yes, it is an A. In the picture showing the magneto, above the throttle control rod that connects to the governor, you can see a flat boss approx. 2" long. You'll need to remove the paint down to bare metal. 3 of my tractors from that era have the serial number stamped there, that match the serial number stamped on the tag.
In other posts on here, and a couple other Farmall forums disagree that theirs don't match, but many more than don't say theirs does too. I suspect the one's that don't, have had the engine block replaced for some reason.

Just curious why you removed the magneto..?? There is a procedure to go theough to time it properly. If you have at least an I&T manual, it will show the procedure. If you don't have one, I'd suggest, at least getting the I&T manual. Not the best, but covers basic repairs,and tune-up specs. Ebay would probably be the least expensive place to find one.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,562 Posts
Check Steiner Tractors and Yesterday Tractors out too for manuals and parts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just curious why you removed the magneto..?? There is a procedure to go theough to time it properly. If you have at least an I&T manual, it will show the procedure. If you don't have one, I'd suggest, at least getting the I&T manual. Not the best, but covers basic repairs,and tune-up specs. Ebay would probably be the least expensive place to find one.
The picture of the tractor is the condition it was in when I bought it - It came with two magnetos (both not installed) - Non runner - A project they had started but not finished and wanted it gone.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
The picture of the tractor is the condition it was in when I bought it - It came with two magnetos (both not installed) - Non runner - A project they had started but not finished and wanted it gone.
Gotcha..!! Sometimes that's the best way to buy them, if the price is right..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got the pre-cleaner, grille and bonnet back from the painter last night- Here are a couple pics - Hope to post some more pics when it is all back together again!

Reactions: DJ54 and grnspot110
1 - 6 of 6 Posts