My Tractor Forum banner

Farm tractors: how do I learn how to operate one?

13K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  littletractorguy 
#1 ·
I don't own a farm tractor, but I want to learn how to operate one. I live close to a farming area-Hillsboro, OR. Should I place an ad in Craigslist? How much should I offer to pay per hour? I want to be able to operate a commercial size tractor (150hp+) but I assume I could learn on a smaller one as long as the transmissions are similar and there is an instructor's seat?
I would appreciate any feedback you could give me.

Thanks,
Lloyd

#2 ·
You could try placing an ad. What kind of tractor? JD, CaseIh, NH etc? Almost all tractor series operate a little different.

#3 ·
Lognom, guess I'd wonder what your reasoning is to learn to drive a farm tractor. Most people learn by starting on an older one or a smaller one like a Compact Utility Tractor (CUT) that has a lot of the same controls and features. When I was growing up every kid learned from their father or older brother how to drive a tractor, you might start by offering to work on a farm near you with an agreement to learn the equipment as part of the job. Anyways, good luck to you!

#5 ·
Thanks for your suggestions. I don't know which brand I prefer, so I'll take what I can get, for learning purposes. The idea of learning on a larger CUT makes sense too. Tall Grass, I think your feedstore/coop idea is better than my idea to post a CL ad.
For learning on a larger CUT or small commercial tractor, how much should I be willing to pay? $75/hour?

Lloyd

#6 ·
$75/HR seems high but i would bet that you find a guy with a tractor with a cab and a disc would he will let you ride along and then get in a few rounds or so. Go find something little and learn a bit on it. Just getting right upon a big one won't be near as fun as after you learn a bit.Without any experience you will feel some terror(big gigantic machine turning and things happening very quickly if inexperienced) as you get to the end of some rows and need to turn around(farmer as well). You might also have more trouble of finding anyone that will mess with you during planting time. Fall would be a lot better with time pressure being off the farmer.
Find some guy with a few smaller tractors sitting around. They will be glad to take your money and then find a bigger guy or they will help you out. Might go from Great Grandpa to the Grandson etc.

#8 ·
I'd just apply for a job with a farmer, no matter what the job entails. It won't be long before you're told to, " Get in that thing."[/QUOTE

I sure wouldn't say"" Get in that thing." " to anyone that told me they had never driven a tractor before. Let alone one big enough to get into.

#11 ·
I learned on the fender of my dad's 2010 many many moons ago.. It was a while before he set me loose by myself. He rode with me and taught me well.. First off---> You need a strict adherance to the potential dangers associated with tractors. The results of not knowing could be your life.. just wanted to toss that out there..
:dunno::trink40:

#13 ·
Lloyd: Why do you want to learn how to operator a tractor, is it to satisfy a curiosity, or to build and develop skills and experience for a job/business that you intend to do later in life? If you are leaning toward the job aspect of it, I have a little advice.... You want to demonstrate something that the farmer will gain in exchange for teaching you. Even though he is getting a driver in return, you also have to understand that for him, it means more supervision, more training, and more potential for accidents, if it is not taken seriously. If you are looking at a long-term prospect of of dealing with large tractors, it's best to establish a long lasting and good relationship with your mentors. Let them know of your plans and prospects. If they know that, they may be more inclined to move your progress forward as needed, instead of just letting you putt-putt around the back forty for a couple of hours.

Driving and operating big tractors is usually a tiered learning system. Demonstrate that you are responsible and careful with your starter tractor; it may be something old, faded paint, just plain awful. But after a few days/weeks of operating it as instructed, your mentor may be more inclined to progress you into bigger and more powerful equipment. Start small, learning the basics of gears and tractor operation and continue to work at refining those skills, like smooth clutch engagement/disengagement. he hardest part of driving different brands and size tractors is finding out where the manufacturer put the controls you need at. You might be a bit confused if you start out learning on something other than a Powershift or Hydrostatic transmission. Don't worry, and learn whatever you can. You'll be proud later that you can operate a Quad-Range.

Are you willing to get your hands dirty? Just driving one is just the easy portion of operating equipment. You may want to expand your horizons to encompass tractor servicing and care of them. I'm not saying you have to replace a water pump, but be aware of little things that motor/trans oil levels, operating temperatures, and oil pressures. Be prepared for something to break and how to deal with it (in other words, if oil pressure drops to zero on the 4630, don't run it until it quits, shut it down, now!).

I grew up on a farm and one of the tough things was finding good help that will take care of your stuff. I had to take care of our stuff because our livelihood was at stake, but anybody else wouldn't. That's why they always stuck me in the 9600 combine and articulated tractors. But, if you can show the farmer that you are willing to learn and are trustworthy enough to allow you free reign with his/her $200K rig, then there is no doubt that he will let you learn all that you want to soak up. Heck, he would even pay you for it if you do good enough.

#14 ·
I can well imagine farmers' reluctance to not want to take any chances with their equipment. I want to learn tractor operation because I would like to farm. Btw, I may be older than most others on this forum (early 50s). However, I'm physically very fit, I recently completed my diesel AA, and I'm willing and able to get as dirty as necessary. I'm not an "ego" and take instruction very well.
I notice there are lots of feed stores in the Hillsboro area. I'm going to take the advice given earlier and talk to their employees and if possible post bulletin board notices there.

#17 ·
What kind of farming do you ant to do. There are many types and variations. Thus dictating the type size and HP of the tractor and equipment used. You might use your diesel training at a repair shop or a tractor restoration shop.
There is plenty of farming around and many that will let you in on it. We just need to get you into the farming/tractor lifestyle. Working at one of these shops will get you plenty of tractor in your blood. busted knuckles, grease under your nails an aching back and feeling of accomplishment.

#16 ·
I want to learn tractor operation because I would like to farm.
Perhaps you should be going about it another way. You might think about approaching a local farmer and tell them that you would like to learn about farming in general, as proper operation of a tractor is just part of the big picture, and I'm sure you will learn how to operate a tractor along the way. You'll hopefully also learn the nuances of farming as it pertains to your local area, like how to deal with the types of soil that you are likely to encounter, and what crops work best in your area and climate for rotation to keep the soil productive in the long run, and many more things like that. You might even approach the local 4-H club or FFA and ask if they have any educational materials that you could borrow (offer a donation). Another good source of information is your local Department of Agriculture office, and state and county offices as well.

#18 ·
Perhaps you should be going about it another way. You might think about approaching a local farmer and tell them that you would like to learn about farming in general, as proper operation of a tractor is just part of the big picture, and I'm sure you will learn how to operate a tractor along the way. You'll hopefully also learn the nuances of farming as it pertains to your local area, like how to deal with the types of soil that you are likely to encounter, and what crops work best in your area and climate for rotation to keep the soil productive in the long run, and many more things like that.
:ditto:

#22 ·
This is an interesting question. I'll say it is probably not as hard as you think as my dad was able to teach me probably starting about age 5 and by 9, I was out disking by myself and at 10 i was plowing. I'm not sure when he trusted me to cultivate. (i.e. if you can't drive straight you kill the crops vs the weeds.)

learning to do the maintenance on the tractor and various equipment is probably the harder thing. However, it seems you already have a start on engine work.

Tractors are simlar, but also a bit different. We had small ones AC WC and WD45 and only farmed a 100 acres. It was a part time job for my dad.

What are you thinking? Are you thinking of a hobby farm, or are you going into farming full time? The size of your farm would affect your choice of tractor size. A lot of farmers will have a range of tractors for different jobs so maybe you can get experience on several.

I keep thinking of moving back to country and farming, but then I remember how much work it is. :thThumbsU

#27 ·
Don't know.

The first time I used (helped?) a tractor was on our 8n, my dad and I (mostly watched) were moving oil tanks with the loader on the 8n when I was 8 or 9 . As we were taking them down the tractor came out of first gear... Even though I just was steering. At that time my feet could not reach the clutch. Then probably around 11 or 12 I was driving it around. Fun times.

#25 ·
That's the same attitude I had. And I'm 15 almost 16 in 4 months. And most of the kids I know won't even pick up a wrench. I'm a country boy that will work. And won't quit til the jobs done even if I have to work later. Operating farm equipment to me is like the back of my hand.
:Tractor2:

#26 ·
Just to get some information before hands on experience Google "How to operate a (insert make and model here) tractor." There are lots of Youtube videos that show basic controls and operation, implement use, etc. :Tractor2:

#28 ·
Hey lognom, did you ever learn how to drive a tractor?

#29 ·
I would think that if you put an advertisement in the local farm bureau link below. Indicating you would like to work a day a week on a farm to learn the farming for free in return for some education about farming. Interested in general farming with animals and vegetables. Will do any type of work and be prepared to shovel poop and be positive. Best of luck. I think this would be the best place for the advertisement.

Washington State Farm Bureau

#30 ·
before you start working, go to the local dealer pick out the a tractor go insideand ask if you can sit inside of it if you get luckey some one will come out with you (here is your chance ask questions) he dosent come with you get in and start looking look at all of the contolls, everything if you find a manual pull it out and read in the safety and how to operate section (be carefull with the book as they can be expensive like $300 on the high end)

and last of all look at the new shiney paint beacuse more than likeley you wont get to run one for a long while

i know i got a little off track hope it helps

#31 ·
I hate to break the news to u guys.. but this tread was started way back on 2-26-2012.. lets hope he got to ride in a tractor by now..

#32 ·
Lets hope so...

#35 ·
Okay, so looks like what happened here is that user 19306 grabbed onto this old thread hoping to get an answer for how to stop an oil leak in his Massey Ferguson. So, 19306, did you want us to move your question to a new thread? You might have a better chance of getting an answer that doesn't involve how to learn how to drive a farm tractor if we I do. :tango_face_grin:

We might also want to talk about how you can go about creating your own threads, if you want...

Just let us know!

#36 ·
I think that would b better for him to do.. most guys will overlook his question & reply to the topic of this tread..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.