My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, here's what the gravely dealer told me. My tractor has a Faribanks-Morris magneto not the Wico. We want point and condensor for it. Well the FM unit is no longer made so the points and condensor are a bit pricey there....... $72 dollars is what they priced them to me....... Needless to say I didn't buy them.

Can someone point me to another resource??? I know those are obsolete parts but $72 for a piece of copper and small electrical devise is kinda silly if you ask me.

I have found Wico magnetos on ebay for around 80 bucks. Could i make them work????

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
A Wico will bolt right on. Parts are also much easier to find. As for parts for your FM mag... I'm not sure but I'm sure that someone will chime in with a source.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Wico will bolt right on. Parts are also much easier to find. As for parts for your FM mag... I'm not sure but I'm sure that someone will chime in with a source.
thanks man. I just don't see how they could justify $72 for what it is. Dealer also made some other ignorant comments........... but that's the way the dealers are around here..........

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where could I find a Bricker/ antram catalog or a website for them? I saw on anthoer post here prices quoted from it and they are VERY much better than the dealer.

·
Registered
573 Posts
A magneto is not rocket science and there are many people who work on mags, $75.00 is a lot of money for points and condenser. I restore Hit&Miss engines and have had several mags rebuilt and have rebuilt many myself. I have used Mark's Magneto 1-860-537-0376 for parts and service, give him a call he should be able to help you.

BUD

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you try sanding the points? It's probable that you don't need a new set and that the surface is just pitted from sitting.
we did a little bit with no luck. I'm gonna do some more work on it this weekend.

I'll also start asking around and see if anyone local can rebuild it.

thanks alot for the help guys!

A magneto is not rocket science and there are many people who work on mags, $75.00 is a lot of money for points and condenser. I restore Hit&Miss engines and have had several mags rebuilt and have rebuilt many myself. I have used Mark's Magneto 1-860-537-0376 for parts and service, give him a call he should be able to help you.

BUD
Thanks man! I'll look them up!

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Just a wild shot; old Harley Sportsters back in the 50s had a FB magneto. I'll bet H-D isn't cheap either, though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Try John Brillman. Great guy to deal with. When it comes to mag stuff, he usually has it.
The Brillman company . But in all honesty, Fairbanks mag parts are expensive. Like it was mentioned previously, find a Wico for it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mine isn't a Cray, it's a Waterloo Boy though I don't think there is much difference. Nice engines.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info gang! and oldgravelys.net helps again. Why didn't i look before?!?!?! They have a Fairbanks Morse Mag manual in PDF......... :trink40::trink39::thThumbsU

1 - 14 of 14 Posts