My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
When I bought my 3225 (needing TLC) last fall, in the pile of stuff that came with it is what I have discovered is a 345 (190-345-100) - Cub Cadet Fan Assisted Bagger.
My darling bride has been complaining that for two or thee days after I mow the dogs are tracking grass clippings into the house.
So I am thinking about trying to get the bagger up and running. The fan housing and and internals spin freely and the housing is in pretty good shape. Depending on the response you folks provide to the following question I may rebuild it -
"Are these baggers worth anything or just some garbage after thought that Cub Cadet sold for an over priced amount of money?"

Thank You to all that respond.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They work awesome and I use mine on my 3205 all the time. What needs rebuilding on it?
Thanks for the feedback
Looking at the fan and housing someone had done a repair of the fan added 3/8" plastic disc and angle iron and rubber pads in an attempt to fix the failing fan.
It is so out of balance that it has worn away at the inside of the housing. I think I will disassemble use JD fan and replace the bearings, fab some metal plates for inside of housing. Likely fab a plate for the outside of housing on pulley side as well. Then will need to fab some brackets to attach to deck. Will post some pics when I get it done.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
You didn't mention your yard size or conditions. Unless you are absolutely married to that fan bagger in need of rebuilding, maybe consider a new or used tow behind vacuum rig? I have an acre with big trees surrounding it 100%, and in the process of moving to 9 acres. My tow behind vac was the best investment in, and the most used yard equipment I've ever made, next to my X500.

There are tons of Cyclone Rake and other manufacturer videos out there. Might have a look before sinking money into a rebuild. But if you do, wish you only good luck on it.

Reactions: Father Deerest

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You didn't mention your yard size or conditions. Unless you are absolutely married to that fan bagger in need of rebuilding, maybe consider a new or used tow behind vacuum rig? I have an acre with big trees surrounding it 100%, and in the process of moving to 9 acres. My tow behind vac was the best investment in, and the most used yard equipment I've ever made, next to my X500.

There are tons of Cyclone Rake and other manufacturer videos out there. Might have a look before sinking money into a rebuild. But if you do, wish you only good luck on it.
The back yard is about an acre so not huge and the tow behind might create issues as there are many beds, trees, bushed etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ordered Fan and Bearings on Amazon should be here Fri.
Will tear the thing apart this afternoon and start cutting some metal reinforcing the housing.
Will have a helper later this afternoon as grand son will be here.
Will post pics after I get the thing put back to together.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Great project, look forward to your progress..
Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
5,716 Posts
I've made liners from sheet metal for several blowers, that have worked well for me, even with large cuts/holes in the blower housing. I do spring/fall cleanup with mine, and so there's a lot more debris like small rocks, pine cones, acorns, things like that, that cause the most damage to the housing, but a 14 gauge liner didn't show much wear after several years of use. Abused a 1" ring roller to make the liner, inserted it into the housing then clamped it in place and drilled holes to bolt it the housing using carriage bolts.

And reinforced impellers as well. You do want the impeller to be not horribly balanced.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yesterday I got the Fan disassembled, inspected parts and housing.
Cleaned the housing and parts to be reused; sand blasted and painter bearing retainers.
Made patterns for the sheet metal that I will be replacing and adding.
Pictures are of the old fan, blades and metal that is going in the trash and getting new pieces made to replace.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Looks like the PO got his moneys worth out of that fan. My housing is shot and was eating up the impellers so I made a new one out of 1/4 steel. I have about 20 hours on it and so far so good. I'm looking forward to your rebuild so take lots of pics please.
IMG_9750.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts