My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
3boys-tractors
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired an X495 in very good condition, first John Deere I've owned and finally saying goodbye to the old beatup Craftsman riding mowers. I have a need for a bucket on the front at a minimum (such as Buford Bucket, Johnny Bucket, etc), and a "real" loader would be much better if I can afford it and find it. CTC loaders look nice but I would really love to get hold of a JD 45 loader. I've a seen a handful on Craigslist. Prices vary wildly. Any counsel on what you think a fair price should be for a 45 loader in good condition? Assume it doesn't come with the relief valve; so far sellers have told me that's something that stays with their tractors.

·
Super Moderator
15,907 Posts
Well they should Vary Depending on condition. . I have seen several in the Past where the edge was severally worn on the Bucket & they Still try to sell them for out of the Park Prices. But a Good Price Range would probably be $2,200 to $2,600 without the Valve and even Less depending on condition of Bucket:thThumbsU

·
3boys-tractors
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Sergeant; it's helpful to get feedback from someone who has been around the JD circles for awhile. Yes, the price varies by location but these things REALLY vary. So far I'm seeing between $2700 and $4900, quite a swing!

·
Super Moderator
13,259 Posts
All the ones I have sold and or bought or sale I know about have been in the 2,200-2,800 range.

·
Banker / hobby farmer
620 Posts
$2,500 is a normal price here in the Midwest from what I have seen. That includes the valve and sometimes counterweights etc. It can definitely vary quite.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,696 Posts
Ditto what every one else said they usually go in the $2,200 to 3,000 range around here depending on condition.

·
JD X585 owner
531 Posts
I picked mine up last fall for $2500. Just the loader. My x585 already had the relief valve as the previous owner had a 45 loader on it that he transferred to his replacement x749. I have only used it twice very briefly, but I know already it was money well spent.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
So far I'm seeing between $2700 and $4900, quite a swing!
Wow, they were 'only' $3500 when new, at least three years ago when I bought mine (with the relief valve and the lockout valve)

I'd concur with $2200-$2700, depending on loader condition and with the relief valve.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
If you're lucky to find one, anything under $3k is good. When I bought mine I paid $2600 w/o valves. There was still a new one available at the dealer, but I don't think you can get a new one anymore. Price new with the valves was closer to $3800 with tax.

Mine has almost paid for itself. I almost finished removing a huge retaining wall of field stone 6"-24" diameter. 5 stones looked like they would be a problem, but was able to move all of them so far. They were buried about a 1/3 of the way and you don't realized how big they are until you try to move them. One of them wouldn't fit in the bucket, so I rolled it with the bucket, over to the tree line where they will stay.

·
3boys-tractors
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What an incredible community of folks, thank you so much for all this great feedback! This is only my second day on MTF.......I'm really impressed.

·
Super Moderator
15,907 Posts
If you're lucky to find one, anything under $3k is good. When I bought mine I paid $2600 w/o valves. There was still a new one available at the dealer, but I don't think you can get a new one anymore. Price new with the valves was closer to $3800 with tax.

Mine has almost paid for itself. I almost finished removing a huge retaining wall of field stone 6"-24" diameter. 5 stones looked like they would be a problem, but was able to move all of them so far. They were buried about a 1/3 of the way and you don't realized how big they are until you try to move them. One of them wouldn't fit in the bucket, so I rolled it with the bucket, over to the tree line where they will stay.
Valves are still available Welcome to GreenPartStore - John Deere Parts Superstore. Parts for John Deere farm equipment, John Deere Lawn Tractors, John Deere Garden Tractors, John Deere Walkbehind Mowers, John Deere Front Mount Mowers But keep In Mind It is Not really a JD Part Tuff-Torq is the actual producer of the Part when It is No Longer available from Deere that is where You can also Buy the Valve
BTW the One shown is for 2WD tractors which is what you need for a X495:thThumbsU

·
Jerry
1,190 Posts
Good luck with your search. Remember that which ever loader you put on, the reason for the relief valve is present with all loaders not just factory JD 45 loaders.

FYI Here is the manual for the 45 Loader.

OMM147614_C3

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
What an incredible community of folks, thank you so much for all this great feedback! This is only my second day on MTF.......I'm really impressed.
This is a great forum. It provided lots of answers from folks using the equipment. Win-win for all.

Glad to have your aboard!

·
3boys-tractors
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good news, I located a 45 loader in good condition on Craigslist for $2600! Can't wait to get this up and running on my x495. Pictures coming soon I promise. Had to drive about 8 hours to get it but I think it was worth it --- these are hard to find. Didn't come with the hydro relief valve (owner didn't want to mess with it), so that is on order. Got the hydraulic shut off valve for hydraulic line to mower. Still studying on shim / no shim option for implement relief valve. Big question right now is trying to figure out the rear ballast --- 45 loader manual insists on a minimum 250 lbs on rear axle plus additional ballast behind the tractor to get total of at least 750 lbs --- so if 250 lbs on rear axle that would be 500 lbs additional hanging off the back --- seems way higher than what people on this forum say they are using with success. The weight off the back is not hard for me to figure out --- I have the 3 point hitch so lots of options for rear weight. But options for weight on rear axle itself are more limited and not as easy to remove --- for mowing, I'm concerned that the weight on rear axle will adversely affect lawn (compaction?). I have red clay soil here in upstate South Carolina. Can't take off weight if I fill the tires. Wheel weights are removable but not conveniently (so I hear) plus they are SUPER expensive. If I go by the 45 manual it looks like I would have to fill rear tires AND get some wheel weights to get to 250 lb minimum. It's easy to take the weight off that is in the back but whatever I put on rear axle is my concern. I was thinking just put all the weight on the back on the 3 point hitch but I'm assuming 45 manual doesn't want all the ballast on the back because some weight is needed on the sides to help stabilize side-to-side movement / rollover prevention, hence the requirement for at least 250 lbs on the rear wheels? Your advice is always appreciated.

·
3boys-tractors
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I should probably have started a new thread since changing subject from question about price of loader to question about ballast. Sorry about that. I'm not sure how to fix it.

·
Premium Member
31,654 Posts
I should probably have started a new thread since changing subject from question about price of loader to question about ballast. Sorry about that. I'm not sure how to fix it.

Congrats on finding a loader. :tango_face_smile:

Go ahead and start a new thread on the loader and your questions regarding it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Just sold my 45 FEL for $2900

I know this is an old thread, I just thought I would add a current sale price.

·
Super Moderator
15,907 Posts
Just sold my 45 FEL for $2900

I know this is an old thread, I just thought I would add a current sale price.
It funny I still use My 45 Loader Though I have a 120R Loader So I guess You believe that You won't Need it for the X729 anymore since You Have the 120R Loader See In My Case Next year I Plan On Having My Blower Mounted On My 2025R so In My case I may need a Loader In the winter. While Not Hard to switch Back over to the 120R Not something I want to Have to Keep switching back and Forth Loader and Blower. So in my Case the 45 loader will be the stop Gap :thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
9,505 Posts
We had a 45 loader come up for sale this fall here for $2200. Can't say if it came with the pressure relief valve because it was gone before I got to call on it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts