My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a JD 420 mower w a 60" mowing deck. Deck looks to be in great shape, engine torn apart & reassembled (very clean), new paint, 1 owner before my friend bought it to clean up & resell, 500-600 hrs, runs great.

He's asking $2,500.

Is this a good deal?

Is this a good mower for 2-3 house yards w a total of 2.5-3 acres weekly during summer?

Things to look for?

Thoughts on Onan engine?

Thanks!:greendr:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
A serial number and pictures would help us Jesse.

But, that is a low number of hours for that 420 and it will laugh at 3 acres per week.

My questions would center on your friends rebuild skills. Clean is good, but did he measure ring gap? Connecting rod bearing clearance? Cam bushing clearance.

Is the 500-600 hours a guess because the hour meter is not working? Or you just don't know exactly yet?

Anyway, the Onan is a fine motor with no known issues.

As for what to look for, smooth operation of the engine, transmission, mower, mower deck lift, 3 point hitch if it has one. Look for smoke, listen for rattles and vibrations.

If it checks out, $2500 could be a very reasonable price.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
:ditto:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's an 80's mower. Don't know s/n.

My buddy got it w 545 on hr meter still working, but now not working. He estimates 600 hrs.

He rebuilt deck gearbox w new bearings, etc.

New paint, belts & blades.

Was making some noise & he opened the engine to fix it. Didn't get deep into those measurements.

Judging by the deck, it's been well taken care of.

No 3 pt hitch, but I don't really need one, have tractor.

How is it on gas?

Per acre mowing time estimate?

Better to trailer 1 mile to 3rd house or just drive it?

·
Super Moderator
35,723 Posts
Gas will use about 3.5 gallon in about 4 - 5 hours, with the 60 inch deck and the power you will have I would suspect at least 2 mowings of your 2.5 - 3 acres (rough estimate) I would suspect about 2 hours to mow if it is straight without too many maneuvers. If it's short sections about 2.5 - 3 hrs. Max speed is 9.3 mph (so the manual says!). Should do a mile in under 10 minutes, certainly not a racehorse!

·
Super Moderator
35,723 Posts
They are a beefy tractor! Except the no engine issue (small but important!) it looks in really good shape!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I took the pictures he had the engine out and apart. It looked good to my untrained eye. I haven't seen it back together yet, but I'm going to borrow it once he gets it all back together and do a little mowing to see how it handles the big yards as well as around the house. I have a 175 mower and it is a little bit of a pain to turn, but I understand the 420 has power steering, which should help a lot. I was surprised to find out that it weighs almost 1,000 lbs. That's a lot of steel. I'm new to John Deere products, but from what I see they are built to last (except the Lowes, etc versions that you see, which can't be the same quality for those prices).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just to clarify, the early 420's have a top speed of around 11 MPH, the later models have the 9.3...can't recall when the serial # change split changed the rear-end gear.... I'm reading this right from page 72 of my JD 420 operators manual...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts