My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Alfa Twin Cam Power
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 weeks ago I purchased a "barn find" '72 280SE. It's been a barn for 6 years. It started right away with fresh has, drives surprisingly well, cleaned up good enough so the wife won't be embarrased to be with me. The biggest cosmetic issue that I have found so far is that the clear coat is failing in some spots around the car. Most are small and below is a picture of the worst spot. This car is not a priceless museum piece but is is a nice car. I do not intend to repaint.

Is there a way to repair or arrest the decay of the clear coat in the areas where it has failed?

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Nothing including stuff the late Billy Mays sold will help. Bad paint is bad paint and nothing will make it stick back. Looks very nice, just live with it if you don't intend to repaint.
Looks like you have it out of the sun, that is the best way to preserve what is left. (and the interior too!)

Waxing will just make the eventual repaint harder.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Nice little find! :thThumbsU It looks like it has been well-cared for. :)

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Is there a way to repair or arrest the decay of the clear coat in the areas where it has failed?

That's a very nice car!

I wasn't aware that Mercedes used clear on their solid colors that early though.

If it were mine, I would lay blankets across the windshield and fenders, then remove the hood for estimates at a decent body shop. The repair and repaint may run around `$300...but it's the best fix I can think of. I'd love to have that in my shop for a day or two :trink39: !

Mark

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
That's a nice car. I think Mark has a good idea.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
Are you sure that's a failing clear coat, and not the top coat peeling off showing the primer underneath? Seems like a lot of color difference to me.

·
Alfa Twin Cam Power
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep it's the clear coat pealing off. The car must have been repainted some time in the last 37 years. I am just looking for something in the meantime that will cover up the eyesore. When I get flush I may take it over to the community college where they have their body repair school.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Where the clear coat is in tack, it appears to be an ex MaryKay giveaway.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Like others have said, there is no quick fix. The only way to truely fix that is have it stripped, reprimed, repainted, and recleared. If you're going to take it to a the community college have them repaint the whole thing. I work for a college in the autobody shop and we've had a few projects such as your's. We stripped the whole car and repainted (except for the jambs, we just scuffed them down good and reshot them) the whole car. If I remember correctly the projects cost in a range of $750-$2000 in materials (no labor, we're a college and can't charge labor). On the most expensive one ($2000) we also had to replace parts and the customer wanted Rosa Corsa (Ferrari Red.....very expensive color). You could have them just strip the parts that have the bad paint, blend in the color to the parts that have good paint then clear the whole thing for a lot cheaper but 1. you may not be happy with the color match and 2. there's nothing saying that the new paint won't get pealed off with the remainin original later on down the road. If the instructor at the college is good he can give you an estimate of what it will cost and then you can wait until you can afford it. To help keep it from peeling more you can try some clear nail polish around the edges of the peel. That will atleast seal it from moisture getting under the clear and lifting more off.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
About 15 years ago, GM had problems with the clear peeling off of white. Had a customer bring in a white corsica with paint peeling off the hood. Managed to feather back the clear to where it seemed to be stuck, sprayed the white on the bad spot and blended it into the rest of the panel then cleared the whole thing. Looked ok, though I wasn't going to be able to guarantee it down the road because of paintingover already suspect areas. Pulled the masking paper off and peeled more clear off the fenders. Chased that thing halfway across the car. Never again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts