My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Proud Wheel Horse Owner
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a guy bring me an LX172 today with a wicked clacking in the transmission!:thanku:

Love transmission work, so I couldn't resist tearing into it right away. A series of bushings along the left side have just vaporized leaving about 1/4" of play in the gear that drives the differential. Nice:fing32:

Haven't started shopping for parts yet, so the next step head over the JD parts website and see what Peerless this is and if it's cost effective to repair.

If anyone has a used trans they want to sell, you might be my new best friend.

·
Proud Wheel Horse Owner
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Found daigrams for the 801-038A and 801-060 Peerless transmission in several places. Part numbers for the internals are the same so I can't tell what the difference is.

This one ate needle bearings (x2)#91
destroying countershaft #4
possibly destroying the inside of pinion gear #5
destroying bushings #120A, and #120

Here's the link to the diagram on partstree.com if it helps anyone:
http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=simplicity&mn=1692418+-+Broadmoor,+15HP+Gear&dn=18710

·
Proud Wheel Horse Owner
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is actually a Peerless 801-060. Ordered all the parts for it today from outdoordistributors. Along with the parts listed above, I also ordered the 3 bronze bushings #34, the input pinion #12, and some new brake pads #38.

Looks like the only challenge will be removing and installing the bushing located inside the differential gear. Hopefully it's nothing more than knocking the retaining pin out of the diff cage, knocking the diff cross pin out, taking out the spider gears and the one left drive gear, and then pounding out the bushing...and pounding in a new one.:praying:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just had my Peerless apart and the rear axles removed and while I didn't have to replace those 120 rear bushings, they didn't appear to be anything special. Once you've pulled out the gears it looks like a small benchtop arbor press would be able to easily do it.

Good luck. And don't forget plenty of fresh Bentonite - need about 2 big bottles for the whole transmission.

·
Proud Wheel Horse Owner
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tip on the Bentonite. Where can I purchase it? Or is it acceptable to use a Moly based automotive grease?

.......just ordered 3 tubes on ebay for $40 shipped. Others appear to be getting $28/tube. Parts break down says one 32oz tube for this trans.

I've got a 5spd in a Toro 12-38XL, and a single speed in a Yard-Man to do next.

·
Proud Wheel Horse Owner
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, all back together and works great. Fun little project.

Thanks to outdoordistributors.com for getting the parts out fast! In comparison, I ordered 2 trans parts for the Tecumseh in a Toro 12-38XL from the local Toro dealer........been about 2 weeks now and I'm still waiting. Why I continue to try and bring them some business is beyond me. Took them 3 weeks to get in the foam pre-filter for the air filter in a Kawasaki engine. Please.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.