My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
To Much Useless knowledge
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we recently got a new addition to the family, picked it up for a great price

a 2001 f550 7.3 powerstroke diesel. Rated to tow 33,000lbs and hold 13,000 pounds in the bed

Has a actually bed on it which is higly unseen on 550's

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Might want to check those ratings. I had an IH 4300 flatbed which is way more truck than a 550, and its max cargo rating was 10,000#.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I'd check to make sure that engine doesn't have the PMRs (Powder Metal Rods). I think 2001 was the switch year for those. If it does have the PMRs that isn't that big of a deal, just will limit the amount of extra power you can add.

Did it have gauges or a chip on it? Looks like some guy had a slide in camper on it.

I've had multiple 7.3s and loved them, though fuel economy isn't great. With a F550, and the gearing (which I think could be 4.88s), I think you will see some pretty low fuel mileage.

Was it a manual or auto?

Congrats on the find. Indeed, tough to find that year with the bed, it was an expensive option...

The 550 is the last level before you get to pick you engine and trans combo.... Once you hit 650, you can get a Cat or Cummins with an Allison.

·
Registered
40 Posts
"Incomplete Vehicle Manufactured by..." would lead me to believe the bed was added. Nice truck . How many miles? I love my F350 Crew Cab.:fing32:

·
To Much Useless knowledge
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has now power mods. Gets about 12 a gallon and has 4.88 gears. Unfourtnaly it has a auto wish it was a 6 speed. Also the bed was added. It has 89,000 miles. The guy died that owned it and was a professional welder and metal worker has the truck really beefed up. The hitches are so over built its almost insane. And he did have a camper on it good call. We have had 5000 pounds in the bed and it squated it maybe an inch of that. I believe the payload is around 12,000 pounds I don't think I was wrong there.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
The guy died that owned it and was a professional welder and metal worker has the truck really beefed up. The hitches are so over built its almost insane. And he did have a camper on it good call. We have had 5000 pounds in the bed and it squated it maybe an inch of that. I believe the payload is around 12,000 pounds I don't think I was wrong there.
some body I know Has a 2000 Ford F-450 with 7.3 diesel, 4X4, Dump bed, snow plow. We hauled 6.5 tons in the dump bed and it barely squat down 4 inches!! It is a beast!! These ford trucks with the 7.3 are tough as nails!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts