My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got it off the trailer(2000 with 700hr). When I tried to engage deck it was all ceased up. Smelling belt. Then it kept stalling out. That was due to the switch under seat came loose. I taped the button down and it started but still ceasing. Took belt off deck to engage pto and now...... it won’t start. Just a click.
Haven’t mowed blade one. It cut grass at dudes house. Could I have tweaked the pto going on the trailer?

·
Three of my friends
9,136 Posts
Not likely you hit the pto,assure the deck will turn via hand.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Is it the deck or the engine that is seizing?
It sounds like you have removed the belt from the PTO to the deck. You should be able to rotate the blades by hand easily.

What is clicking when you try and start it? Most likely the starter solenoid. If so, have you checked the battery? It might be dead.

Have you checked if you can rotate the engine by hand/wrench? If you remove the sparkplugs, it should be easy to do.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
One problem at a time. Either the engine start/run issue or the deck. I would begin by trying to fix whatever is causing the engine to not start. First suspect is the battery, be sure it is fully charged and all connections are all clean and tight including ground wires. Your safety switches if not in their "run" positions, will not allow any power to the starting circuit so if it is a bad safety switch, you probably wouldn't get any noise, not even the "click" you reported. Makes me suspect a poor battery condition. Try a known good battery to see if that is the case.

Once the engine runs, address the PTO problem. Examine the wires to be sure they didn't get hooked on something in transit and pulled out. When you have all the safety switches in the run positions, you in the seat, and the key in the run position, you should hear the click of the PTO engaging. If not, test the wires to be sure power is going to the PTO when you pull the PTO switch to the engage position. Again, be sure all safety switches are in their normal run positions. If the PTO is getting power but not engaging, a replacement PTO is probably in order.

On to the deck and smell of burning belt. Observe the deck belt as is. Does it rub on anything? Has it turned inside out? Fix any belt issues. If the existing belt travel path is OK, remove the deck drive belt and see if the blades rotate freely by hand, without grinding sounds, or any tight spots . The smell of burning belt indicates a problem with the deck. Fix anything that causes the deck not to rotate freely. Then retry.

Let us know how this goes. Others with similar problems now or in the future might benefit by your investigation and fixes.

·
Three of my friends
9,136 Posts
The pto has a stud on it that sets in a hole in the block to assure it stays put,if it’s hit it might have dislocated out of that hole.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts