My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 7263, 21" D600 engine, push, cast deck, 1974, its has the white top. I really love this mower its the one my Dad passed on to me. I heard the F series was one of the best engines made and am keeping an eye out for one. What are the main differences between a D and a F?

Also there are some engines that are listed F and others like F140 etc are these all F engines? What are the differences, displacement? HP?

Thanks!
Steve

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a 7263, 21" D600 engine, push, cast deck, 1974, its has the white top. I really love this mower its the one my Dad passed on to me. I heard the F series was one of the best engines made and am keeping an eye out for one. What are the main differences between a D and a F?

Also there are some engines that are listed F and others like F140 etc are these all F engines? What are the differences, displacement? HP?

Thanks!
Steve
F engines are 7.78 CID,D4/600's are 6.65. D600's have strait cylinder fins and F's are slanted.D engines have alum. mufflers F's are strictly steel.F engines have a differnt top piston ring and D's have the same.(thats all i can throw out)

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
The D's also have a real governor system, and possibly an aluminum carburetor. Having said that though, a good running F engine, which I once had on a BBC Commercial mower, is hard to beat. Probably should have kept that one.

·
Self-Declared Mechanic
254 Posts
Don't F engines have 21 fewer parts than a D? I think I saw that in an ad a while ago.
F engines have an air vane governor and Ds have a mechanical governor.
I personally like the sound of an F engine over the D. But the M is definitely the best sounding.

Dan B. :smilie_fl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts