My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Advertisement
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10424 or had… It seems the big end of the connecting rod let go. The rod bolts did not come lose, as the halves are still bolted together tightly. It poked a hole in the front half. Looking threw my new inspection hole I figured I probably could just polish up scuff on the crank add a new rod and weld up the hole. Boy was I wrong. Hopeful denial was crushed upon opening up the little engine… not one salvageable component in the short block.

·
Registered
260 Posts
And so the story goes..... The story of the Duraforce that is. The aluminum rod is the weak point that gives way almost every time one fails. The engine would be great if it had a pressed together crankshaft with a steel rod.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Dang, that's a bad deal there! Are the DF engines known to fail more often than others?

I really like my 10525 DF, but I just hope it holds together!

·
Registered
124 Posts
we need pictures! :14_6_5:

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
I had a rod go on one I owned...ruined the whole engine. I reluctantly chucked the whole shortbolck and placed a Briggs quantum on the deck. IMO it was an improved modification. That sucker surged so bad it was embarrasing.....this was long before this group was formed.

Welcome btw...:trink39:

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
You said the two halfs was still bolted together... Are you sure you cant save the bolts ???

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,767 Posts
Find a 10323 or the push version of the silver pro line. They can be had cheap. Some entire mowers have been found for less than the price of a coil pack.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Id say just try and find a used or new shortblock, probably not worth getting new parts and paying a welder to weld it up when you can sometimes find a New shortblock for less than a 150 bucks...

·
Registered
141 Posts
About four months ago I bought a 10324 with a nice bag for either $40 or $60 -- I actually handed the guy $40 but my wife says I have to count the cost of the gas to pick it up. Cost me another $25 for a new coil and $5 for a shut off valve and it's better than 98% of what's on the market new.

·
Advertisement
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the welcomes!:thanku:

Indeed this 10424 deserves to be saved. Problem is around here I just don’t see many in use or even for sale.

If anyone has a new or used short block that they are willing to sell me, I will most definitely give this mower a new heart.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Yes, it needs savin! I haven't anything to offer you for parts, but a well tuned Duraforce is among the most powerful push mowers you'll ever use or need other than maybe a bushhog!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts