My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this morning i took a completely dead lawn and garden riding mower battery and put it on a charger. i set the charger for manual and 2 amps. the ammeter on the charger was on 0. 10 hours later the ammeter is on 5. what does that mean?
 

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
Joined
·
26,679 Posts
I would have it checked for a bad cell or 2. :thThumbsU
 

·
4K Poster!!!
Joined
·
4,504 Posts
It probably showed no charge at first because it was sulfated from being dead. Running a battery dead greatly shortens its lifespan. It will be interesting to see how long this battery lasts. The slower you charge it, the more likely it is to last a while. I'm glad you didn't blast it with a 10 amp charger! A 1 or 2 amp charge would be plenty.
The "high" amps reading you got might indicate a shorted cell. After you take the charger off, let the battery sit for a few hours, and measure the voltage. Or, try to start your mower and monitor the battery voltage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it came with a free motor. i don't know the age or how long its been sitting. i'll let it charge over night, take it off in the morning and see if it starts anything tomorrow night
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
I hope you checked for water in each cell.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,305 Posts
I hope you checked for water in each cell.
Hopefully they all have acid in them, not just water. If you're really serious about saving an old battery, get a good hydrometer and a bottle of sulfuric acid, and check all of the cells, not just the ones that are low. Once you are sure that all of the cells are full with the proper strength acid, then you can put it on a charger. As others have stated, a slower charge is better than faster charge in terms of helping the battery have a longer life expectancy.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top