My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an exmark las28ka604 60 inch mower and I replaced the hydro tensioner pulley and belt and for some reason now the tensioner Pulley is coming Too far up and is hitting the crank pulley and the belt is tight enough To run without spring being hooked up? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I wonder if the belt is the incorrect size or its not routed correctly? I too have an exmark, but have not taken on that repair so I am only speculating.

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
7,003 Posts
Yup, operators manual may have a diagram showing the belt path. And if you have the old belt, maybe compare it's length with the new belt's length.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have the old belt and the new belt both same numbers both same length. My problem is the tensioner pulley does not line up evenly with the other pulleys and it comes really close to crankshaft pulley. The tension pulley has bushing made on to it and has one you put on other side when Installing which is a really fun task but anyway something is off somewhere and the belt seems to be riding really tight against the tension pulley lip closest to front of mower. If it was a horse…….let me add that I could probably drive machine without spring hooked up that’s how tight belt is.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,003 Posts
Did you just remove/reinstall that idler? If so, maybe it needs to be flipped around, as it looks way too sideways for being that close to the adjacent pulley?

And are you certain the belt path is correct, as presumably with the old belt, the tensioner pulley wasn't like that?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've not worked on mine, but it seems that there are only so many things that could have gone awry as it was reassembled, assuming it wasn't that way when you did the repair.. You've eliminated one, belt size, so its seems to be a routing issue or the tensioner pulley was reinstalled differently. I'm sure you will get it worked out, but I don't think I would try and operate in its current state even if you think it could work. If your instinct is that something went wrong with the reassembly, I would go with my gut on that and get it right before you use. Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced the idler pulley and the belt. I have diagrams of idler and belt routing and even had exmark on phone and they can’t see how it’s touching with everything right. 2 bushings on idler pulley one is made on pulley. The bolt comes from seat side of mower goes through washer through bushing through pulley through other bushing made on pulley through idler arm then the nut. That’s how diagram shows it. I’m still confused

·
Registered
355 Posts
The bracket your idler pulley is mounted on (photo) looks to be in a different orientation than the image from Weingartz imo. The sping attach point is on the left hand side of your image and its on the right hand side of the other. Will that make a difference?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m sure it would but the arm has never been removed. I have my pulley running straight now but still hitting crank pulley. Do you know what length the belt is thst is used here?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I’m sure it would but the arm has never been removed. I have my pulley running straight now but still hitting crank pulley. Do you know what length the belt is thst is used here?
Got it. I wonder if the difference in the two images could just be overall orientation of the mower which is tough to tell. Is the tensioner spring attached at this point too? I'm sorry I don't know the length of the belt required, but from one of your earlier posts I thought you had eliminated that as a possible source of the problem. I'm sure I would be as frustrated as you are if it were my machine, it seems like the were just only a couple of places during the repair that things went wrong. I'm surprised your troubleshooting hasn't yielded positive results. I'm afraid I'm out of ideas at this point.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I finally got nerve to put belt on and run mower with pulleys thst close together and apparently it’s ok. Hopefully as the belt gets worn it will gradually separate the 2 pulleys. It’s working fine

·
Registered
355 Posts
I finally got nerve to put belt on and run mower with pulleys thst close together and apparently it’s ok. Hopefully as the belt gets worn it will gradually separate the 2 pulleys. It’s working fine
Glad it worked out!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well come to find out some one had changed the crank pulley without letting the man know and the belt that factory called for is No longer the belt for this mower. Now it’s a 61 inch belt instead of 581/2. It’s working well again f8nally!

·
Premium Member
7,003 Posts
Good job. Thanks for coming back with the result. It certainly makes it more interesting to work on a machine that's been modified by someone else...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts