My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 2 tractors with very similar engines right now in my garage.
I noticed tonight after running them both at different times,that there is a huge difference in the fumes from them.

First is a 18 hp Kohler Magnum. Runs great,,nice and smooth. Ran it for 5 minutes and could hardly notice any fumes.

Second is a 16 hp Kohler Magnum. Its runs good,,but not as smooth as the other,,takes more time to warm up and has more of a throaty sound to it.Ran it for less than 1 minute and I could hardly breath,,eyes watering and opening all doors.
It runs great once warmed up but still throws out the fumes.

What is the deal with this? I might have it running a little rich but adjusted it by ear as running. Seems to be where it runs the best.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I don't think I'd be running either in the garage even with the doors and windows open.

Bad gas, running rich, or higher oil consumption would be my guesses on the one which seems to be stinkier.

·
Registered
905 Posts
what you are smelling are unburned hydrocarbons.
<<
Carbon monoxide (CO), also called carbonous oxide, is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is slightly lighter than air. It can be toxic to humans.
>>

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think I'd be running either in the garage even with the doors and windows open.

Bad gas, running rich, or higher oil consumption would be my guesses on the one which seems to be stinkier.
I don't run them long inside and always open the door after or during to vent it out.

I think you may be correct on the oil. I wonder if oil is running into cylinder as it sits and takes a bit to burn off when started. It runs kinda rough at first ,,but then smooths right out.

The fumes from this are amazingly bad,,,like no other. Kinda like pepper spray,,,,cause all you want to do is get away!!!! lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts