My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Blank Space
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I see I'm hogging this sub-forum with threads about this stove, but here goes another one.

After a few years of use, there are some large white areas that used to be flat cast iron black. Don't know why or if they're an indication of trouble, but I'm wondering about painting the whole thing. Cheap HF infrared temperature gun reads 700 degrees or less in most places, sometimes up to 900 when I get it going good with smaller wood. I see High Temp paint that is rated at 1200 degrees. I imagine that's after it dried and cured well, which means I can't do it until Spring.

I also want to do some of the exposed 8" black flue pipe above the roof line to inhibit rust.

Yay or Nay?

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
Stove polish is better than paint on the stove... I've never done anything on pipe.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

·
Blank Space
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered some of the polish. Read up on it a bit and found mixed reviews, but I'm not sure how credible the detractors are. Seems like they were trying to use it in painted stoves.

What I like it that it doesn't have to cure like paint would. Looks like it can be done one day and use the stove the next. Should be enough for more than one application too.

The black pipe above the roof can't possibly get anywhere near as hot since it's 6" inside 8", so I may be able to use regular paint on it.

·
Blank Space
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before and during. I've only done one panel as a test. They want you to buff it and then do an initial low fire burn to set it. Might try that in the morning to take the chill off the house.

I did this with one of those blue shop paper towels. I need to find a stiff brush or something to get the wax into the creases between panels. It's basically like shoe polish, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
My grandfather used some stuff like that, worked ok but had to repolish the stove every season and if you got it too hot the stuff chalked , he also used vegtable oil and seasoned it like a frying pan , stunk like heck for a day or 2 while it baked on . as for the roof pipe , prime it and paint it , if its galvanized wipe the galvanizing with vinager to etch it and it will give the primer more bite . but the edge near the exit can get 300-400* if you use double walled pipe but the gasses are ussually what attacks the paint on the top cap .

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I painted my stove & SSteel pipe with 'plain old rustoleum stove black' from walmart...big can good price, watch the overspray in the house! Seems to be holding up well on both the pipe & cast iron doors, I even had the pipe glowing dull red at one point, didn't bother the paint. My brother did tell me to scratch up the SS pipe so the paint would adhere better.

Ya that wax is crazy, I forgot a plastic bucket I set on the stove, and quick as I came back the pail was slowly melting into a blob of hot goo...and I was like ohhhhhhhh boy this is going to be a mess. But luckily the stove wasn't super hot, and the goo went safely in the trash. But the oils that were in that plastic slicked out the flat black paint finish, and it seemed like shoe polish almost, lasted on there for at least a week.

wwxx

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts