My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
It's too bad we aren't closer. I'd Flip you for both.
I have a Horzontal shaft B&S in bad shape that I think is easily fixable.
My plan was to put two of those Tillers side by side on some angle iron and tow them behind the garden tractor like a real Garden farmer.

I have one (Sears Roto-spader) behind my Murray. One is not enough to keep the poor thing from bouncing side to side etc so the engine runs out of gas as the Gas in the carb bounces to a froth.
If I had two of them I think I could make it work.

PS: why do you think you need a new engine?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a older merry tiller in the garage with a front sickel bar attachment for it too,

it runs, looking to get rid of it, yes i know this is not a sales forum but i too have never saw or seen a merry tiller before,
if there is any interest in it i can get pictures of it,
e-mail me change the correct stuff
dennis01 [at] atlanticbb[dot] net

i heve no use for this tiller i have a 1976 troy-bilt that i use.

rusty shackelford newbe here
from s/w pa

·
Registered
175 Posts
interesting thread, Ill give it a bump.

I got this one for free. It was in a friend of mines barn. I do work on his equipment all the time because hes older in his 70's, hes rich as 3ft up a bulls *ss but cheap. Hes a good old man though. This old Merry was sitting in one of his many barns & it didnt have any wheels. I looked all over his property figuring I would find them but couldnt.

So I built a set out of angle iron & put some old tiller wheels I had in the shop. The engine didnt have any fire so I put an electronic coil off of a 3.5HP B&S mower engine I had in the shop. A can of paint, carb diaphragm, head gasket, and a few hours and its a great running tiller.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I have two Tillers. Almost alike. The old one is a Merry Tiller and the newer one is a Maxim.
Both work great. One has Spring loaded pins, the other has Bobby Pins holding the Pins in place.

007.jpg maxim tiller (480 x 360).jpg

Down in the barn I have parts n' Pieces of some other tillers I plan to hook up to garden tractors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a Merry Tiller very similar to the tillers shown in some of the pics above. I need to replace the lower chain case oil seals, but I don't know which seals I need. An internet search shows two different seals that may be available - one is 1-inch ID and the other is 1 1/4-inch ID. Is there any way to find the model number of my tiller so I can see which seal I need? I measured the shaft the seal fits on and it come out to be 1 1/8-inch, so I am guessing the 1-inch seal may be the correct one for my tiller. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
We had that Seal problem with the Snow Bowers, Tillers and ditch diggers in AK.
Just put the heaviest Grease you can force down in there, and keep it full.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We had that Seal problem with the Snow Bowers, Tillers and ditch diggers in AK.
Just put the heaviest Grease you can force down in there, and keep it full.
That's pretty much what I have been doing, but considering how hard it is getting to be to find parts for these older tillers, I figured I would buy a couple extra seals so I would have them in case the supply dried up.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Here's a place to start http://www.jackssmallengines.com/tiller_merrytiller.cfm or http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/29-482.html

If they don't have any substitutes, take the dimensions to your local bearing supplier and see what they have. I did the replace the seal game a couple years ago when I scrapped the small model (3 1/2 HP) and kept the 5 HP ( it's a Maxim, same product ---I guess the Merry Tiller patent died or something ). I did keep the gear box, they match up pretty good.
Made my own gasket...

Or you could try http://www.mackissic.com/Merry%20Tillers.html . Seems they might be the best place to start.

Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Thomas. I check Jack's and their web site and it said the seal is no longer available. MFG Supply still has some seals, but they are the 1 1/4-inch diameter seals and I don't know if this is the size I need or not. I could not find any seals on Messick's site, but I may contact them just to see if they stock them.

Anyone know of a particularly easy way to get the old seals out?

·
Registered
245 Posts
No problem, Pot Hole,

http://www.mackissic.com/Parts%20and%20Accessories.html#MT

Click on Merry Tiller and you'll land at some pdf's, click on the Suburban and you'll find the transmission exploded and numbered.

I believe all Merry Tillers used the same transmission, but check with Merry Tiller/ MacKissic. The gasket was spendy, as I recall.

Be carefull hammering or prying the seals out, damage to the case is a bummer. I used an ice pick and hammer...

Tom

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had someone give me one of these a few days ago, it's a Scotsman I believe. Anyway, the engine was stuck and it had a bunch of attachments with it that I didn't know what the crap they were for and didn't know much about it but got to reading these post and a few other sites and got me interested ! Now it has another engine on it and just a few more tweeks and I will put a good paint job on it and maybe carry it over to my dad's and let him use it and see how he likes it, his is pretty much worn out .

Tim H.

:bump9:

·
Registered
27 Posts
My dad and I went to his parent's farm last weekend (his dad had died and Grandmother is in an assisted living home) and he let me bring home PawPaw's Merry Tiller. I also found the original bill of sale and books for the engine and tiller! He bought it new in our hometown, Lawrenceville, Georgia, in March of 1975 for just under $400. It has the wheels, plow (if that's what you call it) and two other kinds of attachments that are used to pull the plow through the tilled garden to make your planting rows.

It had been sitting in the barn all my life and I really don't know when the last time PawPaw used it was. He died in 2004 and I know it was at least a year before that. I brought it home, fully expecting it to be a LONG project to get the old 5 horse Briggs back alive.....

Dad and I dumped the rotten gas (that smell is one-of-a-kind), cleaned the tank (NO RUST!!!), changed the oil, scraped the rotten foam air cleaner out and replaced it with a fresh one, and finally, I sprayed a good bit of carb cleaner in the breather and let it soak down through the pick-up tube. I let that sit about an hour and went out to start it.

I was going to take the plug out and spray a little lube in there but I realized the spark plug was original because it was painted red like the motor so I didn't touch it. I decided I would yank the cord a little to sling some oil around in the engine before I cranked it up since it had been sitting so long. Folks, I swear, I was SLOWLY pulling that cord and I guess the carb cleaner ignites better than gasoline or something, but, the engine sputtered and popped a few times and roared to life!!!

The only problem was that the governor was stuck. Luckily I was close to the kill switch and shut it down. I got the governor cleaned and lubed and it worked fine again. That engine purrs like a kitten! It really sounds better running than any of my other engines from the 2000's.

I am so proud to have some of my grandfather's equipment and I will treasure this tiller the rest of my life.

I may wind up painting the handle bars - I know I will the chain guard, but I think I'll leave the rest of it like it is. You can tell it was used many years in that good ole garden I used to play in growing up.

If anyone else has photos of theirs, please put them up, too.

Garrett

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have one just like this. I bought it new in 1976 for less than $300. It still runs like new.
I have the 'tractor' wheels that I can swap out the tines and use as a small walk behind tractor. I am looking for the tool bar that replaces the drag bar so I can hook a small dump trailer.
Couple of pics

Attachments

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
That's a new one on me. Looks like a good size trailer though. Is it a dump model? Looks like is has a sub frame for a dump mechanism.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts