My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started the JD 345 today after three weeks of it being idle. I've been mowing with the JD2320. I cannot mow the front and back yard due to too many trees...low branches, etc. When I let the 345 warm up a minute or so, I turned on the PTO to start mowing. Mowed about 75 feet and the tractor died/quit...just as I had turned off the ignition. It started again after a few engine cranks. Mowed about one minute, and it died/quit again. This happen four times within five minutes. Finally, after all this, it seem to run okay. I would guess it's the gasoline, due to the fact it set in the tank three weeks.

While mowing, I'm thinking of installing a water separator filter system on the tractor. I have this setup on my bass boat to keep the ethanol out of the engine. I have read about how bad this ethanol gas it causing a lot of problems to engines that are not vacuum sealed...such as automobiles.

Anyone out there having the same problems with the ethanol gas?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Before i fill my gas cans i add Sta Bil so far so good

·
Registered
289 Posts
I can still buy ethanol free gas 2 minutes from my house. It is all I run in my yard equipment and my truck! You get better mileage too...

·
Registered
397 Posts
I can still buy ethanol free gas 2 minutes from my house. It is all I run in my yard equipment and my truck! You get better mileage too...
Take advantage of this while you can. I have been told by one of my friends who works at a refinery where they make gasoline that all gas sold in the U.S. will be at least 10% ethanol as of Jan. 1, 2011. I have not googled this to confirm, but he is not one to usually give me false info. Let your vote count in November! :banghead3

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I like the ethanol gas have haven't had any problems with it. I use it in all my vehicles, tractors and Stihl. Been using ethanol products since 1979. Good stuff. slkpk

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Also never had a problem. Almost all the gas that goes through the snowmobiles is ethanol blend. And in Minnesota thats all you have been able to buy for a while. 89 octane rating with 10 percent ethanol. Cant get 87 octane. I have however had many problems with stabil. Does not work well at all for summerization or winterization. I have been using aviation fuel for storage now. It does not go bad and I havent seen a green carb since. Ethanol is not your problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree. Ethanol is not causing your engine to quit just like turning off the ignition switch. I'd start looking somewhere else. It could very well be a fuel delivery problem, but it's not the ethanol itself that's killing the engine.

I've had good luck with oxygenated gas just so long as I run all of the gas out before letting things sit for more than a month. I routinely run techrolene (the stuff pros use to clean injectors on cars) through all my stuff to make sure the systems stay clear of any build-ups. Works great. I do run non-oxygenated gas (there are still a few stations left in Minnesota that carry it) in my lawn tractor during the winter because it needs all the help it can get in the power department when snow blowing.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
It seems like ethanol is causing more problems down south than in the Midwest (where it's nothing new). I think a lot of folks blame things on ethanol when in fact it's really just how poor the fuel actually is today.

Ethanol really doesn't cause any operational problems unless the distributor/refinery goof and gets the blend over 10%. Otherwise, overall fuel quality has gone to crap over the past 5-10 years. 30 days and it's out of "umph" and heading toward clogging your fuel system.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have had experience with ethanol with boat motors, mostly affects outboards, the biggest problem we find when repairing them is water in the fuel, ethanol promotes condensation. Unless you either fill or empty the tank when not going to be used for a while the fuel with ethanol in a half full tank produces roughly 40% more condensation than the older fuels, and this includes the fuel that's in the carb bowl already past the water separator, and if left long enough the gas in the bowl will evaporate faster than the water leaving a nice mess in the fuel bowl of the carb.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
My summer car sits parked all winter long 4-5 months - sometimes with only 1/2 tank in it (allowing the tank to breathe quite a lot of air during warm/cool weather cycles).
Not once have I ever had the smallest inkling of a problem with ethanol gas... in 22 years i've been doing this with the same car (yes, E10 gas has been along even longer than that).

My snow blower sits all summer long outside... under only a roof. Same story - no problems. Lawn mower. Same.

My old boat?... with twin 65 gallon tanks that typically are 3/4 empty (breathe a lot of air) during winter storage outside - 20 years.... same... NO PROBLEM. Not even once.

What do I add to my gas?... sta-bil?... nope... I add absolutely nothing.

so 3-week old gas causing the problem?..... umm.. I'd say: very, very, very unlikely.

More likely something else wrong: heat affecting ignition?... plugged gas cap vent?... etc...

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
deeretek - Your link does not work.

wally2q - I'd say you are either very fortunate or do not own any Tecumseh products :biglaugh:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Started the JD 345 today after three weeks of it being idle. I've been mowing with the JD2320. I cannot mow the front and back yard due to too many trees...low branches, etc. When I let the 345 warm up a minute or so, I turned on the PTO to start mowing. Mowed about 75 feet and the tractor died/quit...just as I had turned off the ignition. It started again after a few engine cranks. Mowed about one minute, and it died/quit again. This happen four times within five minutes. Finally, after all this, it seem to run okay. I would guess it's the gasoline, due to the fact it set in the tank three weeks.

While mowing, I'm thinking of installing a water separator filter system on the tractor. I have this setup on my bass boat to keep the ethanol out of the engine. I have read about how bad this ethanol gas it causing a lot of problems to engines that are not vacuum sealed...such as automobiles.

Anyone out there having the same problems with the ethanol gas?
Engines manufactured after 2002 were designed to run on ethanol blended fuels. It starts to deteriorate after it leaves the refinery. I have been using a Fitch fuel catalyst in my tractor,snowmobile and boat for many years and never have these problems. I have them in 2 of my gas cans also. Here is a link to the fuel catalyst--http://www.fitchcatalyst.com/ Do your own research on these once you go this rout you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. A friend of mine put 1 in his boat and stored it for 3 years and it started right up and ran as good as ever.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
My summer car sits parked all winter long 4-5 months - sometimes with only 1/2 tank in it (allowing the tank to breathe quite a lot of air during warm/cool weather cycles).
Not once have I ever had the smallest inkling of a problem with ethanol gas... in 22 years i've been doing this with the same car (yes, E10 gas has been along even longer than that).

My snow blower sits all summer long outside... under only a roof. Same story - no problems. Lawn mower. Same.

My old boat?... with twin 65 gallon tanks that typically are 3/4 empty (breathe a lot of air) during winter storage outside - 20 years.... same... NO PROBLEM. Not even once.

What do I add to my gas?... sta-bil?... nope... I add absolutely nothing.

so 3-week old gas causing the problem?..... umm.. I'd say: very, very, very unlikely.

More likely something else wrong: heat affecting ignition?... plugged gas cap vent?... etc...
deeretek - Your link does not work.

wally2q - I'd say you are either very fortunate or do not own any Tecumseh products :biglaugh:
I think, here in Canada we don't have the same regulation on the ethanol in the gas.

Gas stations have to announce if they sell gas with ethanol in it.

I could be wrong, I did not do research on the subject.

·
Registered
221 Posts
And in Minnesota thats all you have been able to buy for a while. 89 octane rating with 10 percent ethanol.
Across the border, in MN, I have one station in town that carries the higher octane, non-oxygenated for "classics and small engines." I usually get that for the snow-blowers, mowers, weed whackers, pump, etc. I use Sta-bil for storage purposes.

Bill

·
Banned
2 Posts
I think, here in Canada we don't have the same regulation on the ethanol in the gas.

Gas stations have to announce if they sell gas with ethanol in it.

I could be wrong, I did not do research on the subject.

you are right here they have to let you know ...As for how long that will last i dont know

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
wally2q - I'd say you are either very fortunate or do not own any Tecumseh products
yea - my snow blower has a Tecumseh motor on it....

As for advertising E10 blending?... yea - true... and I have not seen a non-ethanol "regular" gasoline in over 10 years.... even Shell and other so-called "premium" brands have it. Higher octane gasolines - yes - they are ethanol free (makes the "more power" advertising legal, since ethanol blending actually reduces specific power output)... but regular gas: all of it has ethanol these days (as far as I know).

Ethanol in fuel does not "deteriorate" the gasoline by itself. It's actually there to help remove residual water from fuel tanks (especially in colder climates), and effectively dissolve it in the gasoline to be burned off. It's actually a good thing. However, if you let the gas sit for too long, and have it "wide-open-exposed" to outside air... say if you had it sitting in an open bowl, the ethanol will attract moisture from the air itself, and eventually saturate itself with it, to a point where the water/ethanol will finally separate from the gasoline. That process has been shown to occur after about 3 months, in a "wide open space"... not a capped off fuel tank, which has restricted air-exchange that occurs only during thermal cycling events.

Water in gasoline, when left to sit for a long time, will gel / cause gumming. Having ethanol in it, actually helps prevent that. In theory, if you kept the fuel container in an air-tight tank, disallowing any air exchange (and resultant moisture ingress), the ethanol blend gas would last for a very very long time.

cheers!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Also never had a problem. Almost all the gas that goes through the snowmobiles is ethanol blend. And in Minnesota thats all you have been able to buy for a while. 89 octane rating with 10 percent ethanol. Cant get 87 octane. I have however had many problems with stabil. Does not work well at all for summerization or winterization. I have been using aviation fuel for storage now. It does not go bad and I havent seen a green carb since. Ethanol is not your problem.
I take it you are adding Marvel Mystery oil (or the like) to the Aviation fuel. It is a dry fuel with no Lubricants........Not good for small engines or Vehicles without it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Below are a few links with just a few articles about the addition of ethanol to gasoline. IMHO, it is a big hoax to support Midwest corn farmers and does very little to address environmental or energy concerns in our country. It is just a little band-aid approach to the problem and if you look at how much it costs to produce the stuff....it is not cost-effective.

My truck immediately drops one mile per gallon on 10% ethanol fuel when I fill up with it. At the current price of gasoline where I live, it is worth it to me to buy ethanol free gasoline that costs up to $0.18 per gallon more for my truck based upon the increase I see in MPG. I will miss ethanol free gasoline when it finally goes away.

I am sure there will vehement protests from many but the science does not lie. Ethanol gas does not have the BTU content of pure gasoline and has many other detracting problems related to storage and pipeline transport. It's just the facts!

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2006/tc20060519_225336.htm

http://www.fuel-testers.com/fuel_additives_gas_treatments.html

http://www2.highlandstoday.com/content/2008/jun/22/problem-ethanol/

One for boaters:

http://boatingsailing.suite101.com/article.cfm/ethanol_fuel_problems_for_boaters

Here are the properties of Ethanol:

• Mostly produced from corn fermentation (in the United States), primarily in the Midwest.

• Ethanol is a clear, colorless liquid with alcohol- or liquor-type odor.

• Ethanol is extremely flammable, burning with a colorless flame.

• Ethanol is denatured for use in fuel applications (5 percent gasoline) as a requirement by law.

• Ethanol has a 30 percent lower BTU heat value than gasoline (this is the reason for poorer fuel mileage). This is why automobiles using E-10 see 6 to 8 percent lower fuel mileage, and so called “Flex” vehicles designed to run on E-85 (85 percent ethanol/15 percent gasoline) see a whopping 40 percent lower fuel mileage.

• Ethanol has a 113 octane rating.

• Ethanol is very hygroscopic (water magnet).

• Ethanol is an extremely good solvent properties (this is why it dissolves gums and varnishes in your fuel tank and possibly fuel hoses that plug carbs and fuel injectors).

1 - 20 of 58 Posts