My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Murph
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local gas station has started selling ethanol free gas.

When storing for winter use will I still need to use a fuel stabilizer on my X530 and other small engine equipment?

·
Premium Member
10,304 Posts
What he said.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I always use ethanol free gas in all of my small engines. I am terrible at using fuel stabilizer. My chainsaw, weedeater, mower, and AMT all fire up in the spring with no problems. That said, I should be using stabilizer when I store them, I've just been lazy. Year round though, that seems like an unnecessary expense if it is equipment that is being used weekly.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
You should use fuel stabilizer all year round imo.
Same here, never had a problem. When I know I'm storing something for over 6 months, woodsplitter for example, I overdose it.
Just this spring I uncovered my woodspliiter I hadn't used for 2 years. I keep the tank full to prevent condensation and I had over dosed it with stabilizer. I was going to dump the gas out but I figured what the heck I'll give it a go as the gas smelled fine.
Choked it, one slow pull to make sure nothing had filled the cylinder up and then a good pull to start it. Cord never made it out 1/2 way and she started right up and worked fine thru the whole tank of fuel.
Mind you, saying that, I made sure to run the tank out of the old fuel but I attribute the good start to stabilizer.............Mike

·
10,825 Posts
I have been using ethanol free fuel in my small engines for almost five years. I run my two stroke stuff dry and put a drop of oil in thru the spark plug hole. I leave my four stroke engines alone, but make sure I have them near full if it has a metal tank, like my Gravely.

No issues since switching to real gas.

·
Premium Member
8,426 Posts
Your x530 was designed to run on ethanal based fuel. What's the problem that you think it needs ethanal free? Run it out of fuel or use stabilizer after all no metals parts to rust. Thought them things burnt all the carb fuel on shutdown anyway.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I put seafoam in all my small engine fuel as soon as I pump it. (nonethanol) I never drain a tank or run them dry. Never an issue. Thats for boats, tractors weedeaters chainsaws- you name it

·
Premium Member
8,426 Posts
Just how fast do you guys think gas goes bad? Days, weeks, months, by the time you get it home from the station or by the time it leaves the pump hose?
I would be watching where I bought fuel if it went bad that fast or had that much water in it to begin with.

·
Premium Member
1988 JD 332, 2002 JD X585, 1989 JD 756, 2010 JD 3032E
1,442 Posts
I wouldn't let ethanol gas anywhere near my equipment especially anything with aluminum.
I won't run it in my truck. Ethanol is crap.

Reactions: c5rulz

·
Registered
125 Posts
I never run ethanol gas in my truck either. I've heard of people doing it, but the cummins engines just don't like it
I didn't think Cummins made gasoline engines...what kind of vehicle is it in?

In EPA region2 which includes New York, NJ, virgin Islands, and PR only RFG (reformulated gasoline) is available
Was a joke, it's a diesel

1 - 20 of 92 Posts