My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Old Tractor Enthusiest
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a BX 23 with a fuel gauge that is becoming increasingly unresponsive. It nominally reads “E” now, but will occasionally bump up and show the fuel level while the tractor is moving before promptly returning to “E” where it typically stays. I checked the leads on the back of the gauge under the dash. There are 4 wires, three running to the gauge terminals and a forth brown wire that provides power for the gauge light. I could not replicate the appearance of a short by wiggling the sending wires, so I assume the problem is with the sending unit on the tank and/or a connector at some intermediary point.
I tried to trace the wires to the tank to see if there is a connector that may be corroded. It is hard to follow the wires under the seat and around the pump. So, which side of the tank is the sending unit on and is there an easy way to check the leads? I’ve resorted to the good ole way (remove the filler cap and looking inside), but would like to get the gauge working again. Appreciate any and all guidance and suggestions.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Welcome aboard RDM.
The sender is on top of the tank on the left side, directly above the rear wheel. Unfortunatley you have to unbolt and move the ROPS & rear fender assembly to get at it. Some have been able to just remove enough to jack the rear fendor up andout of the way instead of fully removing it.
I don't think theres any splices or connectors inbetween the gauge & sendor. It's possible the leads could be loose on the sendor itself but more than likely the sender itself my be going bad.
Getting at that sendor:
Your looking at 3 to 4 hrs but the good news is it's pretty straight forward and theres no big gotcha's just alot of stuff to get out of the way.
The early BX23's had problems w/the sender leaking fuel when the tank was topped off and Kubota came out w/a new seal kit which fixed it right up. New senders should come w/the new & improved seal.
I checked my WSM and the attachment is the only component level troubleshooting it provides for the fuel sender. See the attachment.
Let us know how it goes.
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
Rd,
Sometimes the fuel gage acts up on my three-year-old BX25. I would just keep the tank topped off, knowing that you can run a BX all day on a half tank of diesel.

·
Old Tractor Enthusiest
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Volfandt for the informative reply. You are obviously a wealth of information to this forum and you've once again exceeded expectations. Factoring in your information with AStanton's reply, think I'll leave this for a rainy day once our garage project gets done. If the sending unit is bad, would shudder to guess how much one is from Kubota. Plus, right now the tank is not leaking a drop so leaving well enough alone may be the better track for now. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts