My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded in a few things and picked this up last night, EM1.22 Erma made in Germany. I know a little about these, I think I got one that has a lot of potmetal in the receiver. Where I bought it they had a blued model, but it was a more recent import with markings all over the barrel and was overall looking more beat up. I’m hoping I didn’t make the wrong choice buying this one over the all steel version.

I paid $299 for it, and I’ve seen them for a lot more on some auction sites.

Looks like this one wasn’t used a ton, mostly it’s dirty - looks like the last time it was lubed they used white lithium grease as it has that yellowy appearance to it, and there just a lot of dust on it.

Bore is perfect, crown is good, barrel bluing is excellent , not sure what the stock is made from but kind of looks like oak?

The rear site was missing and it has a old 4x scope on it, I’m gonna try to find a rear peep site that works.

Also want to try to get some mags for it- Numrich has re-pops but won’t ship them to my communist state so I have to look for old ones which are about $30 more per mag... grr. ($90 for a 10 rd mag)

Anyway, looks to be a sweet gun, gonna try to clean it and maybe get out this weekend to shoot it!!

Attachments

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's a .22lr rimfire version.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I hate to say, I took it out and shot it, and pretty much immediately traded it in. It functioned OK, but the action is kinda "chunky" feeling to me, slow recoil because it has two different rate springs on the recoil/charging handle and knowing that the magazines were $90 each to buy spares, and parts are scarce, I just decided before I break it, I would trade it in.

I lost a little on it, but I traded in two other guns at the same time, and the total I received was worth it to me.

·
Premium Member
4,342 Posts
I don't like rating weapons on such info. But it's all on end user happiness. To me accuracy is way more important than clip size or shots per minute. Finding parts and cost of those parts would be a big turn off.
I learnt how to shoot with an old single shot bolt action. If I missed the shot it meant chasing rabbits that much longer in cold weather so the family dog and cats had meat to eat.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't like rating weapons on such info. But it's all on end user happiness. To me accuracy is way more important than clip size or shots per minute. Finding parts and cost of those parts would be a big turn off.
I learnt how to shoot with an old single shot bolt action. If I missed the shot it meant chasing rabbits that much longer in cold weather so the family dog and cats had meat to eat.
It just didn't feel right to keep it, put it that way. There is stuff you don't really care about, and stuff you love and would never sell, and this was on the lower end after shooting it. Honestly, when I bought it they had another one, that I think was older, appeared that all the parts were steel instead of potmetal, and it had the factory peep sights on it, but it was $50 more, and the import markings on the bottom of the barrel were ugly, and it had worse bluing (being older). If I had bitten the bullet and got that one instead, I probably would have kept it, but honestly when I was cleaning this thing, I was afraid to pop the pins out of the receiver for fear I would crack the potmetal.

It just didn't look very well built inside, but it had a fair amount of rounds through it so it probably would have been fine, but I hate not being able to get parts for it, and extra mags to me being $90 each, was NOT worth buying extra, and the potmetal section of the mag is what locks it into the rifle, so if it cracked, it would be a single shot.

It's cool, I just didn't feel right when I thought about keeping it. Wished I could have just returned it to Cabelas, but they don't take returns on Guns and Ammo.

·
Premium Member
4,342 Posts
Sounds a lot like the M15 the AF handed me in 75 on the first trip to rifle range. Was not a bit impressed with it either. If Mattel had built it would have more than likely been a better rifle.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds a lot like the M15 the AF handed me in 75 on the first trip to rifle range. Was not a bit impressed with it either. If Mattel had built it would have more than likely been a better rifle.
yeah, it felt like parts of it were sand cast pot metal- really rough, but it lasted 40+ years I think so far...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts