My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a real engineers delight: What could be simpler than taking the front wheel off a Craftsman tractor?
The answer is not much.

However, I've got a big question:

In my setup, there is a 25/32 axle. The book shows it with a clip on the end holding the whole works together.

Wouldn't ya know it, mine has some kind of nut.

Now, this nut is interesting. I've used SAE/Metric sockets in both 1/2" drive, and 3/8" drive. Not one thing in either set will fit it. It's closet to 11/16, but not exact.

The angle you have to have on it won't let me use pliers or Crescents.

I'm sitting here, having a libation, defeated.

Help me out. Make me smile again. What the heck do I need for this application???

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they make them, sounds like that's what I'll need. Autozone might have 'em. I'll check tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Ditto of Stripmine, I had for got what that socket was for.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Make your own socket out of a chunk of pipe. Heat it up cherry and hammer it over progressively larger nuts until you get it to the right size and then quench it.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,436 Posts
A pipe wrench fits all!..IF you have room enough to get one on the nut or bolt in question..I've resorted to welding another nut on top of one thats stripped or a weird size I have no wrench to fit before--take THAT!--problem solved!..:)

·
15,000 +posts!
20,436 Posts
Last time I came across a 21/32" sized bolt head,was on the tranny mount in my '78 Chevy C-10 pickup--nothing in my tool box fit well enough to remove those bolts!..luckily I dug deep,and found the only 21/32" wrench I had,a craftsman open end one that looked older than dirt..it was a bear to take those bolts out 1/8th of a turn at a time,but it worked!..

I bought a 21/32" socket shortly after that,and I dont recall ever using it again since!..or even know where it is,I know its not on my socket rack anymore!..

Speaking of weird sizes,I found a whole box of allen head bolts recently..I have tried EVERY allen wrench I own,Metric,SAE,and NONE fit those *** screws!..must be some weird size no one makes for "anti-theft" or something,is all I can figure..I ended up grinding a bigger one down to fit,and taped it to the box!..

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Tractor-Holic,
Did they make Whitworth in allen-type bolts? The British used Whitworth for a while. Any chance your bolts could be British?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whatever it is, I got it loose with locke-tite pliers and a screwdriver turning it. We will win, in these situations

1 - 17 of 17 Posts