My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 2000 or 2001 soverign it came with a 20 hp kohler that when you started it oil gushed out of the flywheel some one tried to pien the seal around the crank so it didnt leak but that didnt work i think i need a different case or if some one who has a 18 or 20 hp kohler they want to sell thats close by i live in defiance ohio 57 mi from toledo if that helps i know you guys like pics so here it is.

Attachments

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,577 Posts
Is there any way you can achieve a seal with the old case?
I have had trouble with the same seal (as well as the rear one behind the PTO clutch). The last time I put it in, I wrapped (plumber's) teflon tape around it and carefully seated it. So far, it has worked great. If the peening is not too bad, maybe you can clean it up with a rounded file and try the tape route?

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,101 Posts
IF the crankshaft isn't messed up where the seal runs, just a problem with the outside fit in block, then I would clean throughly and use JB Weld or Loc-tite, (Not the red kind) to hold the seal in. Sure as heck worth a try before buying an engine or block, mega bucks there.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
538 Posts
ive tried everything nothing works time to cut your losses and go with what works thanks guys
As been mentioned, if the crank is good. Loktight either red or stud and bearing mount will keep it in the block and keep it from leaking, IF you get all of the oil off of the mating surfaces. I'd use the red and put it on both mating surfaces, then give it 24 hours to setup. JB weld will work too but there can't be any oil residue present for either one to work. Clean the block and seal surface with carb cleaner. I've used both with secess. Now if the block got cracked from pinging, that's another story.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,101 Posts
My idea is blue Loc-tite will hold it and the red will make it much more difficult to remove when need arises. Neither will work if there is oil present, not going to be all that amount of pressure on it.

Walt Conner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts