My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Jim dandy and the previous owner had changed the engine.Im rebuilding the original that came from this tractor.My question is this.After reading as much on here as possible,The engine that is NOW on tractor doesnt have the ring around the pto .The bolts all are in. What problems will this cause.I will eventually get the original back on but dont wont to create more problems .Any thoughts??

·
Still plays with tractors
2,395 Posts
Are you talking about the PTO on the front of the engine or the clutch flywheel on the back? I'm thinking you are talking about the machined ring on the back of the engine that aligns the hogs head. If it works as it is, I don't see any potential problem. As long as all the bolts are in and tight, you should be fine. I would keep an eye on it for a while to see if anything works loose. How long has the present engine been in the tractor and was it used for a while with it in?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Current engine is a rebuilt engine Has not been driven since it was installed No throttle cable has been hooked to engine. I believe the clutch is weak . The pedal has to go almost to footrest to release May be stuck . I can put the tractor in gear without engine running and try to move it forward and it wont move but pushing in on pedal releases it to move May be just weak or need pressure plate.
I ran engine about 5 mins but have to clean carb some more.Still having to run choke almost closed to keep it running.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My thoughts are to try to get tractor running with current engine and be able to check out the tranny and rear end and to drive it then install the original engine back in and if needed then do the clutch and pressure plate.Im new at this .
Im in to pulling garden tractors so this is a new addition as well as another project. Thought it would be cool to partially restore and take to tractor pulls with me.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My thoughts are to try to get tractor running with current engine and be able to check out the tranny and rear end and to drive it then install the original engine back in and if needed then do the clutch and pressure plate.Im new at this .
Im in to pulling garden tractors so this is a new addition as well as another project. Thought it would be cool to partially restore and take to tractor pulls with me.
i used my 75 to pull a few years ago, it was a monster when you got some weight on it. i did garden pulls but one i did a large pull and i went like 30 feet, it was still no competition for the larger tractors.

Attachments

·
Still plays with tractors
2,395 Posts
You're on the right track. Now that I know it hasn't even been started yet, be aware of what is happening when it first fires up. Chances are it will be just fine. As far as the clutch is concerned, something inside may have let go (clip or retainer ring) and let something slide to where it shouldn't be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.