My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought a rebuilt longblock to replace their tired engine instead of rebuilding it? I have an early 90s 4830 (4 cyl - 72 HP) and I'm going through 2 plus qts of oil a day (can smell it burning oil) and after it's warm it develops quite a knock. I'm on a different than original instrument cluster so the hour count is not accurate - guess apprx 2500 - 3K hours on it.
Here in Kawlifownia we have had some recent diesel smog requirements that may make rebuiling by a shop difficult legally, I dunno....So I was thinking of obtaining a long block from out of state. They appear to be about $3500 as well as your core.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
yep.. valubilt has them..at about the price you mentioned.

that or get a salvage engine from a running machine with a bad trans or rear end.

soundguy

·
Cal Fire Air Tanker Pilot
143 Posts
The Engine can be rebuilt no problem. Just did one and I am from California. When Tier 4 kicks in here it will be the exhaust canister recovery system that will make you cry and want to leave the state.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Engine can be rebuilt no problem. Just did one and I am from California. When Tier 4 kicks in here it will be the exhaust canister recovery system that will make you cry and want to leave the state.
What size engine and what was the apprx cost? I'm looking at $3500 plus shipping costs for a short block. Also, I am in the process of educating myself about the Tier system. I take it that each new phase of smog requirements creates a new Tier? Can you direct me to a website that can shed light on this?

·
Cal Fire Air Tanker Pilot
143 Posts
What size engine and what was the apprx cost? I'm looking at $3500 plus shipping costs for a short block. Also, I am in the process of educating myself about the Tier system. I take it that each new phase of smog requirements creates a new Tier? Can you direct me to a website that can shed light on this?
I did a 3-Cyl John Deere 2240, 50 HP.

I had to do the tear down of the engine then took it to the machine shop. They did all the machining, cleaning and boiling of the parts, measuring and assembly. That cost was $900 plus another 200 in extra parts that I needed.

I bought the Engine rebuild kit from ytag after I found out what size bearings and sleeves I needed. That cost was $650.00.

So I was looking at $1800 after all said & done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts