My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be able to picknup a
LTX1045 that needs a motor. I have a 2166 with a good motor. Anyone know if I can swap the motor from the 2166 to the
LTX1045?

·
Super Moderator
9,073 Posts
I may be able to picknup a
LTX1045 that needs a motor. I have a 2166 with a good motor. Anyone know if I can swap the motor from the 2166 to the
LTX1045?
Not without switching the engine, hydro and rear diff.
The 2166 is a horizontal engine with shaft drive and the 1045 is a vertical engine belt drive.

·
Super Moderator
9,073 Posts
Sounds like it might turn into a big project. Does it require a lot of fabrication?
Probably would not be worth doing and waaayy more work than you would want to do. What's wrong with the 2166?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 2166 only has 3 wheels on the deck. Its missing the metal bracket for the 4th wheel. Also missing headlight assembly. Other than that it works good. I just came across someone selling the
LTX1045 cheap and its in way better shape. Sounds like I would be better off looking for a deck. Or maybe fab a wheel bracket so it cuts level? Or maybe the sell just that bracket so I can weld it in?

·
Super Moderator
9,073 Posts

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Thanks I will probably look into welding up a bracket for a wheel or picking up a used deck somewhere.
Like Steve said it would be a lot simpler to fab another anti-scalp bracket and have it welded onto the deck. Good luck on finding a used deck that hasn't rusted out; the deck on mine was patch welded once due to rust thru so it gets primed and painted every year which has helped. If it's a rear anti-scalp wheel I personally wouldn't worry with it. My XT3 only has 2 a/s wheels in the front and it does fine. The 42" deck on my 2166 had to have one of the front a/s wheel and nose roller brackets welded back on due to broken factory welds, they were either welded on a Monday or Friday, lol.
Cub also didn't leave any of us 2166 owners with any simple repower options either so when the Kohler Command CH16 goes down adapting any other engine to the drive train is cost prohibitive and just not practical imo.
I bought mine new in '03 and it only has 820 hrs. +/- on it but needs a pto clutch which it will eventually get. Thanks to operator error and a Camellia shrub the head light assy. had to be replaced several years ago.
Good luck.(y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts