My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ZTR has developed perplexing problem. When I turn too quickly to either side or get on an incline quickly, the engine sputters and sometimes dies. Pretty sure it is a fuel delivery problem but haven't pinned it down yet. The filter is new, the bowl is clean, and the lines are not obstructed. The mower is a 1995 Snapper Z2004K and the engine is a 20hp opposed twin Kohler. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

·
Administrator
11,857 Posts
I'm not familiar with the twin cylinder engines.

Have you checked for loose connections on a safety switch or a relay in the engine kill circuit?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Are you running at WOT?

Does it happen regardless of how much gas is in the tank?

Does it happen more when making right turns or left turns?

Fresh gas?

Gas cap vent plugged?

Body or engine or gas tank shifting causing a temporarily pinched fuel line?

Carb float adjusted properly?

Notice any gas smell when it happens?

Signs of leaks anywhere?

Then check the wiring harness for any areas that may be shorting out when the body is shifting.

Check all eletrical connections and safety switches as previously mentioned.

Maybe a shift in your body weight while turning is releasing pressure on the seat switch? That would usually cause a backfire though.

Don't dismiss anything as being too simple. Usually these problems aren't as complicated as they first appear.

Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I found it. My "new" fuel filter was the wrong type, too restrictive to be on the suction side of the fuel pump. Put the right filter on and it is running like it should. I guess the bowl wasn't being kept full and the quick turns and inclines were letting it suck air. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts